Magical Map of HOS
Where to Go on Hogwarts Online
Originally written by Prof. Celestina Smerch
This guide will walk you through the major locations in the Hogwarts Online System and where you might want to go as a student.
The Student Office is where you will enroll in classes. To get to your office, click the tab at the top left of the forums that reads "Hogwarts Online." It is to the left of the tab that reads "Forums." Once in your office, scroll down and note the left-hand side. There, you will find a link to Enroll in Classes. Be advised that if you join in a month other than January, April, June, or September, classes might already be well underway. Some classes might be closed for enrollment because we are so far into term time. If you'd like to get into classes quickly, send a PM to the professor who is listed as teaching the course and politely ask if you can be let in to the class.
The Hogwarts Handbook holds a wide variety of information. Please read this and make yourself familiar with all of its points.
The New Kids @ Hogwarts Program
In the New Kids at Hogwarts Program, you will get paired up with an older student, usually from your own house. It is their job to work one on one with you and answer any questions you may have. It's recommended that you start here and apply for a buddy to help you as soon as possible.
Diagon Alley & Hogsmeade
- Please Note: Students are not allowed to roleplay off-campus during term time unless there is an announced field trip.
- Gringotts: The current banking system is still undergoing some maintenance, but if you have money, you can start purchasing things. At present, you do not need to purchase any school supplies in order to participate in classes. Students can get money by signing up for Welfare. Being a TA or Club Moderator can also get students money. Other jobs around the school for students will be made known to you when they are available. You can also check the Hogwarts Student Jobs Thread to see if there are professors seeking students to do work for them. (This could be in-character or out-of-character work.)
- Ollivander's Wand Shoppe: Located in the Diagon Alley shopping district, this is where all young witches and wizards in the UK purchase their wands. See this guide for help on how to create your wand.
- Everyone must have a face, for the eyes are the window to one's soul! Choose your celebrity character face at the Character Library. Please be sure to read and understand the rules before applying for/using a celebrity!
- Once you have successfully claimed a celebrity face, you can visit the Artists' Association to request a signature and avatar be made just for you by one of our resident artists. You are also welcome to make your own if you have the tools. Max signature size is 600 x 300.
Magical education takes at least seven years in the wizarding world. Your student at eleven years old does not come in and automatically know ever spell in the book, even if he or she reads about them. They must practice as well as take classes. There are limitations on what spells can be used at what levels and only approval by a governor can allow use of a spell out of your grade level. Please check before you use any spell that you are authorized to do so.
Classes & Advancing
To age your character, you must take classes here at Hogwarts and expand your character's magical knowledge. No one comes in and knows everything. Enrollment in classes is posted when each term is set to start. You will need 3 quills, or passed classes, to advance to the next year. Fall, Winter and Spring terms offer academic classes (which relate to what is taught in the books, such as Charms and Transfiguration). In the Summer we have Summer Camp which offers a wide array of interesting workshops. You must enroll in a class and be accepted by the professor to partake in the lessons for any term. OWLs are taken in a student's fifth year and NEWTs in the seventh; you need 3 OWLs to advance to sixth year, and 3 NEWTs (and 15 quills) to graduate.
- Everyone at Hogwarts Online has a personal messenger box. You will hear these messages referred to as PMs. Use this inbox for contacting other members to ask for a role play session or for other information. At the top of each page you will see an open envelope. Next to that is a number. That is how many unread messages you have. Clicking this link will take you to your personal message box where you can read, send, and receive. Please keep an eye on the capacity bar. If your box reaches max capacity, you can no longer receive messages. Delete the ones you do not need or store the information somewhere else to keep the space free!
Personal Profile Center
Click on your name at the top right of the forum. This will bring you to a drop-down menu; click My Content, then click Edit My Profile on the top right. There will be a list of options you can use. This is where you add your signature, avatar, and a bit about your character including their birthday. You may also add any instant messenger names so that your new Hogwarts Online friends may contact you!
Role Play Central
- Profiles are where you explain about your character's background -- mother, father, siblings and past experiences.
- Shippings is where you create a spot for your friends on the board to post their relationship to you -- everything from best friends to mortal enemies.
- Located in Roleplay Central, you will find many places to post your character's abilities, wand, creature status and more! Please be sure to read and understand all the rules of these walls before applying!
- Plots. This is where you create a story for your character and ask for others to participate. This could be anything, including a personal plot, a small group plot, or even site-wide plot. Please read all rules and regulations before posting your plot for approval!
Questions, Comment, and Problems
If you have a question, comment, or problem, we ask that you contact your student mentor or House Prefect first. If they do not respond or cannot seem to help then you are free to ask your House Administration. You may also post a question HERE.