Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2022 VirteQ

Photo

Rhododendron Tunnel

21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Prof. Caleb Rothwell

Prof. Caleb Rothwell

Director of Public Works, Advanced Studies Professor, Career Counselor, Thespian Society Moderator, Wandless Magic & Occlumency, Animagus

• Governor
  • Others: Adult, Camp Counselor, Head Professor, Hogwarts Professors, Slytherin Affiliate
  • 1374 posts
  • Wand Type:Hornbeam, Manticore Hair, 11 3/4 inches, Surprisingly Swishy
  • Blood Status:Muggle Born
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

FPFi3GW.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

Werewolf, Gryffindor Alumna, Kenmare Kestrels Captain & Seeker

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • Others: Adult
  • 3275 posts
  • LocationAnywhere and everywhere...
  • Wand Type:Sycamore, Dragon Heartstring, 9"
  • Relationship Status:Single

Posted 22 January 2022 - 01:31 PM

Career Internship — Harper Bennett

Carina was already familiar with Harper. They'd had a rather unconventional encounter in the woods a while back. He'd been a confused pup at the time, but she didn't doubt he'd come into his own during the time that had elapsed since. Rather than help him navigate his lycanthropy, however, this time she'd be helping him navigate his career path. It had been clear from their first meeting that he had a penchant for Quidditch, recognizing her rather quickly despite his vulnerable state. But he was quite serious about it if he chose to intern with her. Carina was rather flattered she'd been the first one he'd thought of, as there were plenty of Quidditch Players out there. But she supposed they shared a particular kinship because of what they were. It was in the woods that they'd met, and it was in the woods they'd meet again. A teammate of hers was hosting a group of her interns at the pitch today, so Carina had asked the boy to meet her at Reenagross park. The Seeker had spent the better part of her morning casting a Muggle-repelling charm around the patch of woods on the edge of the park, just to avoid any unnecessary snafus, given Kenmare's status as a shared area. Dressed warmly, Carina hopped off her broom and stood at the entrance of the rhododendron tunnel. In the spring, it was quite lovely in its purples and pinks, but right now it looked like a portal to Narnia; lightly snowed upon and barren trees forming a thorn crown within the forest. It was a prominent enough landmark within the park that Harper shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding it. His portkey was set to arrive not too far from here, at some of the picnic tables lining the edge of the woods. While she waited, the woman whistled a light tune while watching a finch hop between branches on a nearby tree.

• Harper Bennett likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

Son of Hunter Bennett & Heather Previtera, Ren Lupus, HAC Student Healer, Quidditch Team Seeker

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • Others: Bowtruckle
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Wand Type:Ebony wood with Phoenix Feather and werewolf nails and Reasonably supple flexibility, 13 1/2"
  • Nickname(s):Harper or Lee
  • Blood Status:Mixed Blood

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:57 PM

[1]

Lee was literally shaking the moment he finally received the letter from Carina Thomas, confirming and accepting his internship under her wing. This is it! This is it! He can’t believe he’s at this point in his life now where his career plans are starting to take shape. Even as a child, he already loves quidditch, thanks to his old man who’s a National Quidditch player, he was easily influenced by his passion on the pitch. One day, he wanted to be like him, but he knew Hunter Bennett is on different calibre. If he can reach at least half of what his dad accomplished, he’ll be proud of himself! Like they said, baby steps, it’s not easy anyway. This is profession they’re talking about now. Not everyone was given this opportunity, so he considers himself lucky. The day of the internship meetup came, he bundled up, but not too much. They never really needed a lot of winter clothes or thermal ones; their body is already warm enough to withstand the winter weather. According to the letter, they are to meet at the Reenagross park and the portkey was already provided to him. It was an easy travel since the landmark is a very famous woodland in Kenmare. And if ever he comes to the point that he’ll get lost, he can always follow Carina Thomas’ scent. Not in a creepy way though! You would know what he's talking about here. When he arrived, he was directed to a park with picnic tables. Lee looked around upon hearing the whistle not far from where he is. I’m here..now how to find Miss Carina… But he didn’t need to look that far because he already spotted her from afar. Waving, Lee jogged toward her, “Miss Carina, hello!” He also brought his own broom in case he’s required to use it today. Reaching her place, he smiled, "Thank you for accepting me as your intern. It was an honor."

• Carina Thomas likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:40 PM

Wildlife wasn't exactly booming this time of year, but some creatures still stuck around for the frost. Granted, it wasn't really like they had anywhere to go. Such was the joy of being on an island. Only birds had it easy if they wanted to escape for a few months. Once the finch flew off, she was alone again, surrounded by nothing but the sound of the wind lightly rocking the bare birches to and fro. There were probably a few Muggles wandering the park; regulars who walked their dogs this time of day, or friends catching up over warm coffee. The Irish accent was an interesting one to listen to, especially conversationally between friends. The voice that greeted her, however, held no such accent. Carina turned slightly, so that a jogging Harper came into view. "You made it. I figured my instructions were clear, but you can never be too sure." She smiled, as he'd also brought his broom. The woman lightly quirked an eyebrow at him. "An honour, eh?" Her look went a little smug. "That's a first." People got awe-struck due to her celebrity status, but they weren't usually so eloquent in expressing it in words. "Well all things considered, I'll say it's good to see you again. I'd wondered if our paths would cross again." Harper himself may have tipped the scales here a little, but life worked in mysterious ways nonetheless. "The last time we spoke, we were preoccupied with... other things, so today we get to shift gears. Quidditch. I know you briefly mentioned you were into the sport," Hence him recognizing her, "But I didn't realize you were this serious about it. If you're half as good as your father, you'll make a fine Quidditch player indeed." With a subtle hand motion, she started to walk along the tunnel, sky giving way to wrought branches. "So, tell me; what are you hoping to get out of this internship? Beyond getting to hang out with me, of course," she added, throwing him a cheeky wink before returning her gaze ahead. 

#5 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

Son of Hunter Bennett & Heather Previtera, Ren Lupus, HAC Student Healer, Quidditch Team Seeker

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Wand Type:Ebony wood with Phoenix Feather and werewolf nails and Reasonably supple flexibility, 13 1/2"

Posted 30 January 2022 - 04:36 AM

[2]

Life for Lee hasn’t been good for the past two years, ever since that fateful night which happened that changed his life for the worse. It’s how he viewed it that time, but now… he’s starting to accept his situation. Baby steps, so they say. Thanks to a lot of people who helped him understand that being a werewolf isn’t really that bad. Until now he’s having a hard time wrapping his head around the bad part, but he knew himself better than anymore. He doesn’t wake up and go out there to harm or kill people, so he’d say he’d still the same as before except there are changes in his body as far as ability is concerned. Today, he would like to get his mind around other circumstance and focus more on quidditch related stuff. His career plan is on the line now and he wanted to be prepared, make sure he’s ready before his graduation. Lee’s smile remained on his lips while nodding. “It’s easy to follow, don’t worry.” He’s not that bad in following directions especially when he’s in a good mood. “A first? What do you mean? Don’t tell me no one compliment you that way before?” Lee assumed it’s normal for her to receive such reaction. “It’s good to see you too Miss Carina.” She’s right, the last time they’ve met, they’re both in their werewolf form until he learned who’s behind that creature – it was her. “I’m serious about it. I want to become a Pro-quidditch player like my dad.” He can only grin at her comment about being as good as his dad, “I wouldn’t go that far, but he’s my first coach as far as quidditch is concerned so I’d say I’m passionate about it as much as he does.” Seeing her signal, he nodded and they walked along the tunnel, if his excitement is visible, he didn’t know, but he surely is! “Well.. first of, I’m aiming to become a seeker. It’s the main reason why I want to do my internship with you. Hopefully I’ll learn more techniques with you when it comes to seeker position. Second, because it’s you, we have the same circumstance, I want to make sure my being werewolf will not be a hindrance to my career.” He looked at her, stopping for a while, “Where there instances?... you know, that you have an issue managing your play because of super abilities we gained?”

Edited by Harper Bennett, 04 February 2022 - 06:09 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:26 PM

Carina hadn't forgotten the boy from the woods. It wasn't every day she encountered another werewolf, let alone while in said wolf form. Those kind of encounters stuck with you, and she'd had a niggling feeling since that their paths might cross again. The world was a small place, after all, and the wolf community even smaller. The boy's somewhat incredulous question prompted a soft laugh from her. "Oh people sing my praises plenty, whether to my face, behind my back, or in the papers. I'm just not usually told it's an honour to be in my presence, specifically." Unlike being complimented on her skills, this made her feel like she'd been knighted a Dame or something of prestigious provenance. The Seeker lifted a hand. "Please. Carina is fine." No need to tack on formalities. She was one of the least formal people out there. While they walked, she listened to the other describe his hopes and expectations. They were mostly technical, but it came as no surprise that he desired guidance on managing his career with the creature he was. "It's never been a hindrance, so to speak. Just something to always be conscious of. Though I could have sworn my hearing improved after I started my sixth year, so that was a welcome change. At school you're quite lucky; games are always held during the day. It gets a bit trickier once you go pro and games occur at any and every time of day. Big games tend to be in the evenings. You always hope a game will never fall on a full moon, but the league is quite good with that. I think they acknowledge that they could have creatures in their ranks, so it's not much extra effort on their behalf to avoid that one night per month. Or maybe they don't want any werewolves storming the game from the woods. Who knows. But in my many years of playing, it hasn't been an issue. The important thing is to communicate. Find a team you're comfortable with, with a captain you feel you can trust. They can arrange to avoid scheduling practices during those times. Same goes for school, really. I don't know if you're playing this term, but if you are, just make sure your captain knows you would prefer not to practice in or around full moons." People were usually understanding, unless heavily prejudiced against werewolves as some were. 

#7 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 February 2022 - 06:37 AM

[3]

Lee chuckled while nodding, he’s familiar with that kind of life, having a national player dad who’s also dealt with all the crap news in his life, be it true or rumours. “I think I know what you mean.” Lee grew up with that, having to hide himself because he’s also sometimes included in the news, being rumoured to be an offspring of a werewolf. He initially thought it’s all absurd news, how can he be a werewolf son? He feels normal that time except for the nightmares about the said creatures. Come to think of it, there had been clues being given to him before which he’d been ignoring. Now he knew better. “Carina then, thanks. Please call me Lee, rather than Harper. I prefer my second name to be honest.” He’s not fond of Harper because it sounded like a girl to him. His dad is fond of calling him that though. Carina then went to explain her being a werewolf was never a hindrance in playing quidditch, in fact it became helpful as far as hearing is concerned. He would bet even the eyesight. “How about eyesight? Did it help giving you a good view of the snitch?” Can’t help but tease her about it, who knows right? That’s pushing it since snitch is a very difficult thing to find and manage. It hasn’t crossed his mind, what she said about the league considering their werewolf members, so they do not schedule matches during full moon. “If that’s true then that’s good. I didn’t know that ,what you said makes sense though. I guess my fear before is being allowed to play, but you are the living proof of that. At least I don’t have to be worried now.”

As for finding a team, he nodded once again, showing her that he understood it perfectly. It’s indeed very important, to have a reliable team member. “Yeah, I am playing for Gryffindor, and I’m happy that I’ll be playing with a reliable team which mostly consists of people closest to me. It helps, really. They know who and what I am and accepted me too.” It’s a huge relief, really. “They already know what to do when it’s near full moon.” He chuckled once again and brush his hand through his messy hair. “So…what do you want us to do today?”

Edited by Harper Bennett, 04 February 2022 - 06:38 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 04:00 PM

Students didn't usually rebuff against her request to be addressed by her first name. It typically put them at ease when that level of formality was removed. The title just gave them a false sense of some sort of higher ground she stood upon as an adult, which let's be real here, wasn't at all the case. She didn't carry herself with the older wizened grace and rigidity most adults did. The other informed her he wanted to be called Lee. "Lee it is, then." He could have asked her to call him Beowulf and she would have obliged. But given that she had his full name for documentation purposes, she already knew the name was actually his middle one. As a person who went by her given name and not the one on her birth certificate, she could relate, though this hadn't really been by her choice. With the matter of hearing came the matter of sight, and It wasn't surprising that Lee posed the question. "Oh sure. Sharper sight, but that hasn't prevented the snitch from continuing to be a tricky little bugger. Your senses may feel heightened, but it's truly not life-changing." She hadn't gained a superpower, so to speak. The Muggle part of her still had a hard time fathoming those abilities some people had, which were ripped straight out of comic books as far as she was concerned. She supposed she'd gotten used to Alaric not using his for so long that she'd come to lack exposure to them over the years. Carina waved a hand nonchalantly. "Nah. As you can see, we werewolves manage just fine. Just takes a little extra vigilance. Things might be different these days, but back when I graduated, the league was one of the few workplaces that didn't care I was a werewolf." The stigma was still very real, and beyond just not wanting a job that bored her to tears, there was also the matter of employers not wanting a werewolf in their ranks which kept her unemployed for so long after school.

The woman was glad Lee already had a solid support system in place within his current team. That was already half the battle. "I've never had issues keeping it hidden when I needed to, but I'll admit it's much easier when you don't have to. Lying is..." she sighed, "tiresome, if nothing else." As someone who would tell you just about anything you asked of her, she just didn't see the point most of the time. It was asked what their itinerary would look like today, and Carina's eyes wandered to the twisted canopy of branches above them while they walked. "Nothing too stressful. Don't want to wear you out on the first day. Once we get out of this tunnel, the park opens up, so I'd hoped to test your dexterity a little, especially if you're to train to become a Seeker. Until we get there, though, you're free to ask whatever questions you have on your mind," she told him, shooting the boy a glance.

#9 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 February 2022 - 09:55 PM

[4]

Lee laughed now, “I’m sorry, are my questions kinda worrying you?” He was kidding, “I mean, I am not asking this so I can cheat while playing. Consider me curious only because of what we are and what we can do.” Maybe he can try it while practicing only without telling anyone, it’s just to prove something. It won’t hurt to try, right? If he’s not going to do this, then he’s always going to wonder himself. Since she mentioned about graduation, something came to mind, “When you apply as a pro-quidditch, how does it work, do you have to mention in your application that you’re a werewolf? Or is that something they’ll just find out on their own because of the Ministry registration? I don’t even know how that registration works and when you’re supposed to register.” His dad told him his mother was not a recognized werewolf, meaning she didn’t register. Why do they even have to register in the first place?

He knows how it feels like to lie, he looked down to hide his reaction, “I’ve learned that the hard way. It’s not easy, yes.” His dad was very disappointed that he kept it from him for so long. He had good reasons for doing it, he didn’t know if he would accept him, he’s still confused at that time and didn’t know what to do. His eyes darted to the flowers which became a carpet of that place. “This place is amazing, isn’t it?” He told her after she confirmed that they will not do anything stressful today. Merely talk and test his dexterity. “I’m curious why seeker? What motivated you to like that position? And advise too?”

#10 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:53 PM

Carina considered Lee for a second. "What the league doesn't know won't kill them," she replied, winking at the boy. They really didn't have that much of an advantage, but the placebo effect was a powerful thing if you truly believed that you did. The boy questioned the application process, and she gently shook her head. "No. You apply just like any other person would. You're under no obligation to disclose your status, even if you will have to be transparent with your Captain, at the very least. Only the Ministry employees within the Games department have access to the registry, hence why games are never scheduled on full moons. They know which teams have werewolves." It really worked in their favour, rather than going unregistered and having to skip games altogether if they were badly timed. "Registration's quite simple. You send an owl to the Ministry's creature department. They'll correspond with you to let you know what information they need from you, and you provide it in your response. It's quick and discreet. Ideally you do it as soon as you're turned, though not all of us have that sort of initiative. I know some choose never to get registered, but in this field, it's proven to be rather valuable. The main risk is that if you commit a crime, they'll be able to track you down much easier if you're registered. But if you aren't planning any felonies in your future, then I don't see much reason to be concerned about it." Carina was honestly just lucky that the girl she'd turned hadn't reported the incident. Like with another crime often committed against women, it was a difficult thing to come forward about, and not all wanted to deal with the legal hassle of it all.

Lee commented on the beauty of the place. "A natural marvel, it is. It's even prettier in the summertime, when the trees don't look so barren. This pathway here is usually covered in moss, and some of the petals fallen from the curving trees. Since joining the team, I've slowly been discovering Kenmare. I feel like it's a nice little place to settle for someone seeking a quiet and quaint life," she replied, smiling softly. The other asked why she'd chosen to become a Seeker, which was a valid question. "In school, I was always a Beater. Not to brag, but I was — and still am — quite skilled in the arts of hand-to-hand combat, so it felt like the natural role to take on. Whacking bludgers around was a good way to offset the amount of energy I had. I mean, that, and the fact that this one girl held the monopoly on the Seeker position during all seven years. When I joined the league, Kenmare was looking for a Seeker. I've always been very nimble, quick on my feet, and a wee bit of a daredevil on the broom. And as I'm sure you've noticed, not very big," she said, motioning down her body. Further evidenced by the fact she was looking up at him rather than down. "Which all lends itself very well to being a Seeker. The less self-preservation instinct you have, the easier Seeking is, I've found," she added with a chuckle. Merlin knew she was no stranger to willingly inserting herself in risky situations. "Though this isn't me telling you to go get yourself killed over a snitch. I probably wouldn't advise being as reckless as I tend to be. But I've found myself much more at home in this position. The adrenaline of it all feeds me far better than being a Beater ever could." Looking at him curiously, she asked, "What's drawn you to Seeking?"

#11 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 February 2022 - 01:07 AM

[5]

Lee chuckled at being told the league didn’t have to know everything about them. It’s what he’s thinking hence why he even bothered asking his question. It’s what he believes too, that they’re under no obligation to explain to anyone about who or what they are. “I guess it will depend on me now how transparent I’m going to be with my teammates in the future huh?” Which makes sense too, that way, someone can help him if worse comes to worst. There are times their temper is proven to be difficult to manage on some special occasion. What if he encountered a bully player inside or outside of his team? It wouldn’t do him good. He listened to everything she told him, finding the information very helpful and important, especially the part of the Ministry departments handling this kind of thing. As for the registration, Lee’s eyes widened. “As soon as I’ve turned?” His voice was small and high pitched, suddenly worried. “I…I didn't even know about this registration thing until last school vacation. Will they know who are rogue werewolves?” He won’t be surprised if the Ministry knows how to track them down. “It’s been almost two years since my first transformation. I hope they won’t take it against me once I’ve registered.” Is there even a penalty here? He’s only realizing now just how ignorant he is about this and he was glad he got Carina to tell him this information. He could see the advantage of being registered if it's related to games but if it’s about crimes, then yes he’s screwed there. Is that something he should be concerned about now? Not really, however, it helps knowing them though.

She talked about the place and shared when there is a much better view, which is mostly summertime. “Settle? Meaning buying your own house here? Or getting married?” Lee is still a boy after-all, he doesn’t understand much about relationships. Speaking of…. “Are you married, Carina? Or a boyfriend perhaps?” There is a very important reason why he asked that. “Is it hard to manage a relationship with our kind? It’s been my issue, even now. Isn’t it scary that you’ll hurt the one you love?” He didn’t expect she’s good at hand-to-hand combat and is a known beater during his student days. “Woaah..I’m impressed. Remind me to behave or else you’ll whack me in the head easily.” He joked, merely teasing her. “7 years…it’s amazing. And you never really considered going to National League? With that experience and exposure in your position, I think you can easily be recruited for National. Is that something you’re considering in the future?” Yes, she might be small but amazing and impressive! “The size doesn’t matter all the time and it’s not an advantage. I know a lot of short people but they’re all reliable.” She seemed to be passionate with her position and easily shifted from being a beater to a seeker. “It’s the same for me, the adrenaline while going for the snitch. It’s one ball that’s not easy to catch, you will need speed, technique, determination, and patience.” He glanced around and then back to Carina, “I’m not saying I have all those qualities, patience is my weakness so I’m using this position to be good at it. And once you get that snitch, man it’s mind-blowing! My heart will beat so loud, so fast.” He touched his chest while smiling. “For me, it’s a huge milestone, bigger than whacking a bludger, or shooting a quaffle. I’m not saying those aren’t important, but catching the elusive snitch is different. We both know how difficult it is to even spot, let alone catch it while also avoiding the bludgers and dealing with opposing seeker.”

#12 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 12:40 AM

Everyone handled their lycanthropy differently. Carina had no reasons to keep secrets, but others had more to lose, and more to hide. How Lee chose to go about it was his prerogative. All she could do was provide counsel. The Seeker lightly shook her head. "No, they have no means of knowing when exactly you turned. They just seem to prefer that you register at some point rather than never at all. You might just have to fudge the dates a little in your owl." Not a big deal. Nothing really hinged on the date of your turning. All they wanted to know was that you were a werewolf. Pertaining to rogue wolves, though, she shook her head again. "Not registering means they don't know, but if they suspect, they can hunt you down if they choose to. Especially if you stand accused of crimes resulting from your wolf form. It's been done before, capturing a wolf and holding them until the next full moon to prove their status. Evidently you'd face hefty fines in the event you were caught." Some managed to evade the Ministry for their entire lives, living peacefully without anyone knowing what they were. But that life of secrecy and solitude was not for her.

Carina couldn't help a chuckle. "That is typically the definition of settling, yes. It can be any combinations of those things. Buying a house. Working a permanent job in the area. Marrying. Raising children. Things of the sort." A lot of people desired those things very strongly, and Kenmare had the sort of charm that would attract that type of person. The boy asked if she was married or taken, and while some might find that a bit personal and intrusive, Carina couldn't care less what sorts of questions people asked her. And Lee had a very valid reason for asking. "I have my eye on someone, but no, I'm neither married nor in a relationship. I've been in two of the latter previously, though. Never have I worried in either one about harming the other person. That may be due to my general lack concern about much, but I have my routine, I take my Wolfsbane, and I know when my full moons are. If something happens, then something happens, but I know the odds of that are slim." She shrugged. "However, navigating relationships really depends on the person. The idea is to find someone who's okay with it and supports you. That's what my first boyfriend was, back in school. He nursed me through my recovery after being bitten, and it's essentially what brought us together." Well, together together, in a proper relationship, because they hadn't been strangers to snogging in closets prior to that. "My second partner didn't know for the longest time because we were adults by that point, and not living together. When he found out, he ended up leaving, and I didn't hear from him for six months. He'd been attacked by a werewolf as a youth; the reason he's got a limp, so it's not exactly surprising he didn't take it well. But he returned after those six months and decided he wanted to work through it." No need to tell the poor boy that 'work through it' meant he'd gotten the knowledge of her accidentally turning someone wiped from his memory so he could reconcile with her. "To accustom himself to it, he'd accompany me for an hour or so sometimes and play fetch with me, like you would with any mundane dog. I think it made it seem less scary and more normal to him." The point was, if the partner had the right spirit, it could be made to work. The woman looked over at Lee from the corner of her eye. "Just because we aren't like the others doesn't mean we're any less deserving of love. Remember that."

The Seeker snorted in amusement. "Yes, it should be well-noted that I'm not to be crossed. Respect your supervisor, because I have a very long stick in my possession," she said, referring to the broom on her shoulder. She was kidding of course. She didn't beat people who didn't merit it. Least of all children. Lee brought up the National League. "I wouldn't mind it. I've just known my Kestrels for years, and I don't think I'm ready to leave them behind just yet. It wouldn't be an easy decision to make." It also meant she wouldn't be running in the same circles as Alaric anymore, nor ever playing against him. It was just wasn't a leap she could see herself taking right now. She listened as he answered her question, nodding occasionally in acknowledgement. "Every player matters, but given that we're the only ones capable of ending a game, a lot rests on our shoulders. It takes someone with a strong frame who is not so easily shaken. But I think you've already proven that tenfold." She gave him a meaningful look.

#13 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 February 2022 - 05:01 AM

[6]

The knowledge that the Ministry doesn’t know ‘everything’, especially the time they first transformed brought comfort to the Gryffindor seeker. He’s not at ease knowing everything is being checked, especially when his life is concerned. Being a werewolf doesn’t mean everyone suddenly has access to his life, he can’t have that. It’s already chaotic whenever his dad is involved in bad publicity, adding to that will just make it worse. Lee nodded at Carina when the older girl suggested he can fudge the date of his transformation. “Will definitely do that. I’ll send them a letter to inform them about it.” Even if he’s not comfortable doing it, still, rules are rules and this is something he’s serious about. Since he’s still young, he doesn’t think the Ministry will be interested in his whereabouts. He still had more time to think about that registration. Although he didn’t like the idea of being held captive just to prove he’s a werewolf. “That’s horrible. I wouldn’t go that far. My dad told me my mom isn’t a registered werewolf.” This is the first time he opened up about his mom and Carina might be shocked knowing he’s an offspring of a werewolf. It’s no use hiding things from her when she’s been nothing but accommodating to him and his gazillion questions.

He was suddenly embarrassed for being ignorant about relationships and settling down. As usual, she’s very nice, answering all his questions one after the other, not realizing he’s already asking a very personal question. She admitted that she’s eyeing someone, Lee didn’t dare ask who that is, there were rumours in the quidditch world, let’s leave it at that. It still came as a surprise that she’s single and not in a relationship with that face. Carina is not just some pretty face, she’s also a known seeker and now a good hand-to-hand combat fighter. He listened curiously about what she has to say about having a relationship with someone. “I wish I had that kind of thinking.” He looked down suddenly, “...because I can’t remove that nagging feeling at the back of my mind that one say….I’ll just snap and I might hurt…or worse, kill someone close to me. Like you said, if something happens, then something happens. Although we know our full moons and we drink wolfsbane, there’s still that slim chance we’ll mess up. I’m just…” He sighed deeply, as if trying to release the heavy feeling in his chest. “..scared. I like someone but I gave her up because of that fear.” He was shy now because even that tiny information, he admitted to her. Carina also shared what happened with her first boyfriend, that he helped her after she was bitten. While the second one left her upon learning what she is. He didn’t say anything and continued to listen. In his case, it’s different, Dia already knew who and what he is and yet she didn’t leave. How stupid he was for ignoring her after that. “You’ve been lucky, to find partners who understand your situation.” For him that’s very rare, though his dad was one since he accepted his mom after learning she’s werewolf. What she said next hits him hard…. Just because they aren’t like others doesn't mean they are any less deserving of love. Lee blinked repeatedly, feeling his eyes sting a little at that. Maybe because he’d been depriving himself of it that he already lost all opportunities he got in his hand. It’s already too late because Dia is dating someone else now. She chose someone else. The boy swallowed and nodded once again, unable to say anything about the subject. He didn’t want this meeting to be heart to heart talk, it’s already humiliating to talk about this with her but he needed to know.

Glad for the change of topic, Lee found himself laughing out loud. “Well noted Ma’am!” He even saluted just for the heck of it. He could understand her reason for not leaving her team just yet. She’s right, it’s not going to be an easy decision to make. “Your current league isn’t bad either. I hope I’ll be able to go against you in the future. I’ll be looking forward to it.” He smirked, it will be an honor again to play against her. The Gryffindor seeker’s cheek heated at the compliment he received, he smiled once catching her look, “I really hope I can live up to the expectation of that position. I’ll do my best!”

#14 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:19 PM

Whether Lee actually went through with it or not, she may never know, but he seemed willing to play by the rules. Once it was done, it was over with, and you pretty much never had to think about it again. Unless, as she'd stated, you planned on causing some harm. But Lee seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. Not the type to get himself thrown in Azkaban. The boy revealed that his mother went unregistered her whole life, which came as a bit of a surprise. "I'm assuming this is relatively new information to you." Cause he'd seemed pretty spooked and confused by the whole werewolf thing when they'd first met. If he'd knowingly grown up around a werewolf, then this all would have seemed far more commonplace to him. Unfortunate for there to be two generations within the family. Werewolves scarcely had children as it was, but for that bad luck to befall your child as well... She would imagine for the average mother, that thought was quite depressing. It reminded her of a conversation she'd had once with Alaric. Judging by Lee's choice of words, this mother of his wasn't in the picture anymore. He'd used the present tense, not past, so she was alive. Just not around. "If she's lead an ordinary life, then she's one of the lucky few who's taken the gamble and been graced with peace." Carina was absolutely a betting woman, and she didn't much fear her own death, but being locked up.... eh. "I'm sure it's a secret she's kept close to her heart in order to maintain that peace. It's safe with me, don't worry." She wasn't a bloody snitch. Especially on someone's mum, who, as far as she was concerned, was perfectly innocent.

Carina knew she had a very unique outlook on life that gave her certain advantages — and disadvantages, trust me. "It's very normal to feel scared. I just don't think we should let it impede on our ability to live life. Easier said than done, I know. But we're only here for a finite amount of time, so life ought to be enjoyed. It ought to be fun, and colourful, and full. All we can do is do what makes us happy and feel alive, while trying not to impede on anyone else's ability to achieve that too." Now there was a philosophy lesson for the day. Returning to the matter of relationships, the Seeker smiled softly. "You might end up finding someone else. You're still very young, with a lot of life left to live, and lots of people you've yet to meet. Or sometimes it's a matter of the right person at the wrong time. It was like that with my second partner. We liked one another as young teens, but both ended up with different people. It was only much later as adults that we found one another again and got our chance," she explained. Sure, it hadn't worked out in the end, but it had been nice while it lasted, and she didn't regret the years spent with him. "However, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm not much of one to sit back patiently and wait for things. If she means that much to you and it's within your means, then seize your demons by the horns and shoot your shot." She shrugged. It was about as simple as that, if you asked her. That's what she'd do. Now one could easily flip the question and ask why she hadn't just kissed Alaric to know what it felt like, but he'd gone through a lot. They were close — I mean heck, they almost practically lived together — but she was being respectful of letting him settle back into his regular life again, now that he had all his memories. Just letting things be normal, without throwing a big fat wrench at him and the zest for life he'd found again. Lee noted how lucky she was, and the woman nodded. "I know. I think we're all capable of managing it, but it just takes longer for some than for others." Right from the get-go, she'd had no shortage of romantic interest. That was just the way the cookie had crumbled, ironic as it was, given how perfectly comfortable she was being single and how she never actually sought out relationships. They just had a way of finding her.

It was true that if Lee joined the league, they would, in theory, play one another at some point. "All the more reason not to switch leagues, isn't it?" Carina winked at the boy. "Though you could end up on the Kestrels, for all you know," she added with a wiggle of her brows. "Unless you have a deep-rooted hate of Kenmare you've been keeping from me. If so, you've done fantastic work of being civil with me," she remarked with a snort. Looking ahead, a smirk blossomed on her face. "I hope your broom's ready for a little wear and tear. When we leave the path at the end of the woods, I'll race you to the turret of the castle by the waterfall." He'd know what she meant she second he saw it. There was no way to miss it in the vast plains that opened up just beyond this forest.

#15 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 March 2022 - 06:05 AM

[7]

Lee nodded to confirm, “My dad didn’t know initially that my transformation happened. Though he didn’t seem to be surprised once he learned I’m a werewolf.” Lee looked down on the ground, “Turned out the rumour about my mom being werewolf was true after-all. He kept it from me all these years.” He surmised it’s to protect him and their privacy, even his mom. Then shook his head, “I honestly have no idea about my mom’s whereabouts. She just disappeared after giving birth to me. My dad tried to look for her all these years but he said he can’t find her.” If she’s dead or still alive no one knows. But Lee could feel she’s still alive, weird, but that’s what he believes in. It’s maybe a son’s intuition or a werewolf one, he didn’t know. Whatever it is, he would like to believe it. He smiled when Carina said his secret is safe with her, that’s all he ever asks for even though he didn’t voice out his concern about his secret. “So you know it’s possible for werewolves to procreate? You didn’t look surprise.” He was so lost, because even in school, all they could tell him was that people should be bitten in order to become a werewolf but his case was very different.

He listened very carefully and took it to heart, whatever Carina told him about being scared and living his life to the fullest. That’s something he will bring with him back to Hogwarts. Lee didn’t react much because at the end of the day, it’s his decision to take things as they are, or do something about it. Carina has a good point so this is something he will need to think about on his own. Everything in him is protesting against the idea of finding someone else but it’s coming down to that, isn’t it? The fact that he just let go without even trying is such a failure and the root of his frustration and regret right now. It’s too late, she’s with someone else now. Whatever effort he’s going to put would be useless and will only hurt him more. He chuckled at her suggestion to seize his demons and face Dia. “As much as I want to do it, she’s taken now. I guess I just have to live with that.” He forced a smile. She’s right, he’s still young, there are still a lot of things that can happen while he’s in school and even after that. He was never one to really take things too seriously, he’s more of ‘go with the flow’ kinda guy, mostly watching on the sideline and observing his friends and other people go about their day. “I can say the same to you, don’t just eye someone, go for it.” He meant it as a joke, since he didn’t know her situation with the guy.

Laughing once again, he nodded, “You know what, don’t. Don’t switch just yet, I’d really like an opportunity to play against you.” As for ending up with Kestrels, “nah, I don’t think so, because that would mean replacing you.” He scratched his head, “No I like Kenmare, but I’m a fan of Bats.” He’s not embarrassed to admit that, he was there during the blast incident, busy gathering autographs from different pro-quidditch players. At the mention of race, he gripped his broom’s handle tightly, “You’re on.” He walked a little faster now, suddenly excited at the idea of race.

#16 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 04:56 PM

See, now that made sense. Absent mother and a well-kept secret by his father made for a very lost and confused child when strange things started happening to his body. And not just the puberty kind. "I'm sorry to hear that. Curious how some people can just completely disappear." Whether intentionally or unintentionally. "I hope you and your father find your closure someday." Regardless if that involved finding out she'd died somewhere, or finding her alive and learning why she'd left. The odds of her coming back after all this time were slim should she be alive, but some answers would at least put the mind to rest. Lee noted her lack of surprise. She was well-aware that she and any other werewolf was plenty fertile and could have a baby, trust me, but she didn't think that's what he was getting at. He hadn't worded it very specifically, but she suspected it was about the matter of a werewolf being born, not made. "Oh, it's news to me. But it isn't surprising. Werewolves are so scarcely talked about and studied that there exists a lot of murky areas. I have a friend who's the son of a werewolf. He didn't inherit his father's condition, however." Whatever had happened here with Lee, it had to be quite rare, else it would be much more commonly known. Still, she felt like many werewolves abstained just in case it ever did happen, by some unfortunate miracle. There was a certain level of paranoia that existed in many of them. Carina wasn't of the latter group, however. There was no telling if she'd ever even have kids.

Lee explained that his girl was taken. "It'll get easier as time goes on," she assured. "The more time passes and the more you fill your life with people and things that make you happy, the easier it becomes to move on. The less everything hurts." All things considered, the boy seemed to be taking it quite well. Teenage heartbreak was a hell of a phenomenon, and it was the absolute demise of lots of emotional teens. But she'd meant what she said a moment ago. You'd barely even lived yet, and there were nearly 8 billion fish in this vast sea. It did not spell the apocalypse. Carina snorted as the boy tried spinning her words back onto her. "Oi. This person could be married for all you know. And while I am many things, a home-wrecker, I am not," she replied, tapping him lightly in the arm. Alaric was single as could be, however. Or at least, she thought so. They were close enough that he'd have mentioned any big life events to her, which definitely included entering a relationship. I mean, they'd literally gone over apartment policy on bringing people home, for Merlin's sake. There was a pretty open line of communication between them.

A look of amusement overcame her momentarily. "All the better you're aiming for the Bats, cause you won't be urging me to join Ireland so you can swipe my job," she stated with a chuckle. "I know most of the Bats quite well, so I can put in a good word for you. Much as they're our main nemesis, I won't deny that they're a formidable team." One of the nice thing about the local league was that there didn't exist much animosity between teams. At the end of the day, it wasn't an uncommon sight for all of them to go partying together. Carina smiled, satisfied, as the boy was game for a race. She eyed him for a moment, a slow smirk spreading on her face. And then she booked it. Carina set off at a sprint, broom bouncing along on her shoulder as her feet carried her down the path, towards the opening up ahead.

#17 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:53 AM

[8]

“I honestly don’t know what to feel about it. I grew up only knowing my dad.” Yes, whenever he sees children with their moms, he will sometimes ask himself what would it feel like to have a mom of his own, but that’s it, he doesn’t feel any remorse about not having one. Maybe because he’s content having a dad only. “Dad’s presence is enough for me since he gives everything I need. Couldn’t ask for more.” If one day his mom decides to show herself, Lee won’t know what to do simply because he doesn’t know her personally. Carina told him even though it’s new to her, it isn’t surprising either, about werewolves having offspring. It came as a shock to him that there are people who have werewolf fathers but the genes weren’t passed onto the children. “Maybe it depends on how the father became a werewolf. I’m assuming if you’re bitten, it’s something you can’t pass on genetically.” It’s just a guess.

He merely nodded and didn’t comment much about the girl he liked. There’s just too many painful memories whenever this is mentioned. He couldn’t help blaming himself for it but there’s no use adding insult to the injury. It already happened. Carina joked that the guy he’s eyeing might be married now for all they know. Lee chuckled, “Well, you know it better than I do. I’m just saying it’s time to act on it if ever. You said it yourself.” He stuck his tongue out at her, not even embarrassed for acting like a child. “Well, not really the Bats team, I’m just a fan but I think they have a complete team right now. I’d rather be included in a new team where I can make a huge difference.” Bats is already an established team. Seeing her run, Lee did the same, his broom bouncing on his side and as soon as they reached the opening, he jumped on his broom and sailed away!

Note: Both for our own reference, deadline is March 11th, 2 more post! thank you sooo much for this!

#18 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:49 PM

Carina gave a small smile. "Hunter's a respectable bloke. I don't doubt that you were well cared for. The fact of the matter is, families exist in all shapes and sizes. I myself am an orphan — never knew my parents — but we all find our way in the world." Now to be clear, she'd never known her parents, but she did know of them. Before being turned, she'd embarked on a little mission to do some digging. Unlike Hunter, her search had been fruitful. She knew who they were, and she'd also managed to locate her birth certificate after several months of harassing a London hospital. But Lee, given his circumstance, was a well-adjusted kid. Part of that was probably thanks to his father. Part of it was undoubtedly luck. "Perhaps. Who knows," she said in response to his theory. "You had an unorthodox welcome into the club, but you're one of us now. You can take some comfort in knowing you aren't going through this alone." Finding other werewolves was a difficult task, and some werewolves were best left unmet, but sometimes life dropped a little gift basket in your lap.

Look at this boy, trying to give her dating advice. "You never know," she stated with a shrug. "But my love life's hardly the most pressing thing right now. For either of us. I've got to be whipping you into shape. So you can go make that difference. Professor Rothwell will have some choice words for me, I'm sure, if I don't." The man seemed perfectly nice, but she was here doing a job, much as it was merely a friendly interaction between two werewolves. As she ran, there was the familiar pumping of blood in her veins, the wind rushing past her ears. The sea of green was visible ahead, and she cast a look back over her shoulder before taking a running leap onto her broom. "Hurry up, slowpoke!" she called as she shot off into the open air. The valley was wide and largely unmarred by any structure or natural formation. The Seeker took some altitude, the castle up ahead in the distance beside where the water plummeted off the jagged cliffs.

#19 OFFLINE   Harper Bennett

Harper Bennett

• Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 1943 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:58 AM

[9]

Lee might know the pro-quidditch players by name and position but he didn’t know their personal stories. Carina, for now, told him she was an orphan, that was new to him. She said she never knew her parents. Lee looked at her, impressed that she has such a good outlook in life for someone who has no support system while growing up. Lee cannot imagine what will happen to him without his dad, he meant the world to him and he wouldn’t be who he is today if not for him. “That’s admirable, to be able to look at the world with such strength.” He commented, not knowing what else to say. Initially, he was lost on what to do when he learned he’s a werewolf. It happened so suddenly and in just one night, his life changed entirely. “I guess I’m still lucky to have found people like me…like you. It gives me clarity and at the same time, direction in life. It wasn’t easy at first but it’s getting for me these days.”

Lee didn’t even know why he’s suddenly giving advice regarding love life when he can’t even manage his own. How funny this sounds. “Fine.” He was laughing, “Moving on to a more important matter - quidditch. But one day, I’ll be curious to see who this guy you’ve been eyeing.” He was teasing her now and then focused on the race. He was already on his broom as Carina shouted slowpoke. “Hah! That’s what you think!” He leaned down a little and held his broom handle with determination as he increased his speed, making sure to catch up to the seeker. His firebolt isn’t bad after-all, it helps increase his performance on the pitch.

#20 OFFLINE   Carina Thomas

Carina Thomas

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 3275 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 04:59 PM

Carina shrugged. Her lack of biological parents had never been a touchy subject for her. It was the only life she'd known growing up, so it all just felt very normal to her. "Being adopted a few years before starting school helped ensure I was provided for. I can imagine things may have turned out a little different if I'd stayed at the orphanage until I turned 17." She'd be a little rougher around the edges, perhaps. She probably would have opted to stay at school during breaks. Especially with the whole werewolf thing going on. "Thank Merlin for that, honestly. Spared me from whatever kind of trickery I'd have had to pull to sneak my Wolfsbane into the orphanage and somehow get permission to leave on full moons," she added with a snort. That was the beauty of being independent; you didn't really answer to anyone, and you lived your life on your own terms. Only Alaric was around her enough to be questioning her whereabouts, though he was well-aware of her situation. Doubly so, as she'd had to inform him twice, thanks to his memory loss. "You know, I think you're the only other werewolf I've ever encountered since being bitten. We really are scarce. But I'm glad to hear you're adjusting. It's one you'll be making over the course of your whole life." Like people who discovered they were lactose intolerant, but way more drastic. Even if she, personally, would consider not being able to eat ice cream anymore rather drastic.

Lee vowed to unmask this subject of her affections, and he sounded awfully determined about it too. "I'm sure you'd be better at figuring it out than the papers are. Though I suppose if it ever comes to fruition, it'll be pretty obvious," she chuckled. Because yes, they were both Quidditch players, and the league was a small, small world indeed, no matter how low-key they ended up being. The boy found his stride alongside her, and Carina merely shook her head. She dipped down, letting gravity do its thing, and swung sharply around the ruined turret of the castle, using the circular momentum to launch herself behind the waterfall, getting a light misting on the way by.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users