Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2022 VirteQ

Photo

Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gwen Moore

Gwen Moore
  • Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

I have a school granted laptop. It is 100 percent mine, but they do control some things on it, such as i do not have the "administrator" rights until after I graduate this year, but it also has the school filter. its summer right now, but during the school year they might be blocking forums, so that i do not have access to them, but i am not sure. i dont want my account to go inactive, but this is the only computer i can use daily, if I didn't, I would only be going on it every couple sundays. Help ME!

any ideas would be great!

thank you thank you thank you!!!

Edited by Gwen Moore, 17 August 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Prof. Penny Lane-Belvins

Prof. Penny Lane-Belvins

Slytherin Alumni

• Hogwarts Professors Emeriti
  • 2315 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

You can always try a proxy.

#3 OFFLINE   Prof. Chauncey Clemenceau

Prof. Chauncey Clemenceau

Founder of HO - Governor for Life

• Governor
  • Others: Head Professor
  • 2100 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

Proxy's may be your best bet on that but please give us a heads up if your using one so we dont accidently block it on you. smile.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Gwen Moore

Gwen Moore
  • Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

ok i think i'm going to try using a proxy.

what kind of head's up do you need? is that up there^^^ enough?

thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey

Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey
  • Portrait
  • 4124 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

PM a gov so they know you are using one

#6 OFFLINE   Giselle DLisle

Giselle DLisle

Chairman of the Governors ; Supreme Mugwump of the ICW

• Governor
  • 1781 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

The problem with this is, almost all school filters are completely guarded against proxies. Also, if they have someone monitoring the computers you could actually get into trouble for using a proxy or if a proxy is used too often and is discovered it will be blocked too.

Not sure how your schools works, but that is how mine works. It's awful.

#7 OFFLINE   Gwen Moore

Gwen Moore
  • Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

I think it will work. they dont really monitor us and i've used a proxy website before so I dont know why it never came across me to use it now.

#8 OFFLINE   Andrew Bishop

Andrew Bishop
  • Adult
  • 2655 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Don't let my secret out but when I was sent stateside, I only had access to government computers and a proxy always worked . . .

#9 OFFLINE   Gwen Moore

Gwen Moore
  • Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

wow really?

#10 OFFLINE   Prof. Jeff Taylor

Prof. Jeff Taylor
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

At my school a guy that worked for the government talked to us and mentioned while he was in china he lived off proxies.

#11 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

I could help you get through the security on the laptop pretty easily, but I don't think your school would appreciate that, and I don't know if that would be very professional of me tongue.gif

#12 OFFLINE   Alex Valen

Alex Valen
  • Banned
  • 2179 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

First off wow, they give you laptops in High School now, second Nic you better not, and third you can get in trouble for using a proxy on the computer and get suspended/expelled. If the school is leasing the computer to each student and it becomes your property upon graduation, then they might not punish you severely for it if caught. However if they are only leasing it to you for your time during school and your caught it is considered an offense of tampering with school property/damage to school property. Even if it doesn't damage the equipement, we had someone at my HS get expelled for using proxies ont he library computers so they could get into email and stuff.

If however the laptop is just given to you and the school network si what is blocking the forum then you should be able to use another network such as a home one or public wifi to access it. The laptops given to the Joplin students are set up like that.

Edited by Alex Valen, 20 August 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   Prof. Andrew Dougles

Prof. Andrew Dougles
  • Portrait
  • 1270 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

I agree with Alex...It really depends on your school, I have used Proxies before but never at school. My friend did once on the computers in the Lab and somehow they were monitoring every action done on the computer. And they knew he was using proxies and was suspended. Luckily not expelled. So i just suggest you watch your back a bit so you dont end up in a heap of trouble.

#14 OFFLINE   Prof. Alana Forrester

Prof. Alana Forrester

Gryffindor Alumna

• 381 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

My school block all the usual ones, but did not block Hogwarts. A lot of teachers use jcink and invision for blogging and stuff, so they were not blocked at all. Wait and see before you start worrying. Also, as mentioned above, using a different internet connection source will remove any blocked websites.

#15 OFFLINE   Gwen Moore

Gwen Moore
  • Ravenclaw 7th Year
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

@alex: i'm actually in eighth grade. we get our laptops in sixth grade. the school is not leasing it to us, we pay a flat out price up front and we own it from sixth grade on. although the school does have control over what we do on our computers, we own them 100%.

@professor Volynski: thanks for the offer, but i am sure that would get me in a heap of trouble. wink.gif

and before i try to do anything. i think i will wait it out and see what happens. thank you everybody for your advice. Is this topic able to be deleted or locked or something? if so, can somebody do that for me?

#16 OFFLINE   Prof. Chauncey Clemenceau

Prof. Chauncey Clemenceau

Founder of HO - Governor for Life

• Governor
  • 2100 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

i will close it for you.

#17 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

This question has been answered. Now being moved to the archives where it can be referenced at a later date. All new issues should be posted in a new topic.