The New Kids at Hogwarts program is an introduction for all new students joining Hogwarts Online!
In this program, you get paired up with an older student who will act as your big sister/brother as you learn your way around HO. Together you will tour around your common room, the grounds, and the castle, and you will receive help with role-playing around the board. Your Mentor will work with you to get you settled into the site and answer any questions you might have.
Who is this program for?
- This program is required and highly recommended for new and first-time users of the sites.
- Members who have been gone for a while and would like someone to help them re-orient them to the site are welcome to sign up for the program.
- Members who have already gone through this program or are making a secondary character are not required to participate in this program unless requested by a Governor or the Program Director.
What's in this for me as a New Kid and new member of the site?
- You will receive a Mentor that will work with you throughout your entire Hogwarts journey. This person is an experienced member of the site and can answer any questions you have.
- You receive 30 points for a complete mentoring session. Your Mentor reports this to me for you.
- At the end of your mentoring session, your Mentor will link you to the Feedback Form. If you fill this out and send it to me, you can get up to 20 additional points.
For mentors, you can claim the mentees if they haven't been claimed yet.
If you are a new kid, please use this form and post it as a reply to this topic.
Preferred Mentor: (not required, but if you have one you can request here)
Your Time Zone:
While you're waiting for your Mentor to contact you, an owl flies by and drops a letter (click) onto your lap
If you do not hear from your Mentor within 3 days, please let Prof. Elizabeth Lapointebete know so she can assign someone else to help you.
If you are unsatisfied with your Mentor's performance, it is your responsibility to discuss that with me and I will remedy it to the best of my abilities.
What each new kid and mentor should accomplish:
1) Learn about classes, enrollment, and term time.
Your Mentor will teach you all about enrollment and how classes work in the Hogwarts Online System. This will familiarize you with how your Student Office works.
2) OOC and IC Rules.
One of the goals of this program is to teach you how to be an active, rule-abiding member of Hogwarts Online. Your Mentor will go over with you what the general rules are of the site and for in- and out-of-character interactions. You will also talk about roleplay, what it is, how to do it, and what our standards are for roleplay etiquette.
3) Student Life.
During this portion of the mentoring, your Mentor will teach you all about the aspects of student life at Hogwarts -- from clubs to House points and RP Challenges.
4) Character Development.
You will receive a brief explanation of what resources are available to you in the United Kingdom Roleplay Central forums that can help you develop your character. Additionally, your Mentor will work with you on creating a wand that you can use for the first time in an RP with your Mentor.
5) Start their circle of friends and learn some magic!
You will do some short RPs with your mentor to get to know people in your House, as well as to practice a simple spell.
Edited by Prof. Elizabeth Lapointebete, 30 January 2022 - 06:31 PM.