Jump to content

Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2022 VirteQ


Curse Breaker?

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Virginia Chase

Virginia Chase

    Gryffindor Alumna

  • Adult
  • 272 posts
  • Wand Type:English Oak, Phoenix Feather Core, 12 1/2 in.
  • Blood Status:Muggle Born
  • Relationship Status:Single

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

There's curse breaker training at most of the schools but I don't see it as an actual adult job anywhere. Is it a Ministry job (I looked at the list and I didn't see it, but I might have missed it...) Also if it is a job how would you rp being a curse breaker? In the books they work abroad, but I don't think we have any countries other than Sweden, the UK and France so how does that work? 



#2 OFFLINE   Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy

    Hogwarts Canon

  • Adult
  • 562 posts
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Cursebreaker is a skill some of us need in the jobs we do. That's why people with cursebreaker training become attached to particular departments at the ministry, or work with the bank, or have accepted other kinds of jobs where this skills is needed. But yes, we don't have a particular field of cursebreakers at the ministry by the name.


Mr. Malfoy.

#3 OFFLINE   Catherine Vaughn

Catherine Vaughn

    Former Welcome Witch at Broussais

  • Adult
  • 106 posts
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood
  • Relationship Status:Single

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I know for the Uk Ministry they are listed as being a job  affiliated for gringotts in the topic here. The other two I'm not sure how it works. As for the rping and such I'm not sure about that either. 

#4 OFFLINE   Draco Malfoy

Draco Malfoy

    Hogwarts Canon

  • Adult
  • 562 posts
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Gringotts is the bank.


Example outside the bank: Just imagine me in the field somewhere, alone and I encounter an old tomb with a difficult and cursed incantation at work. If I have cursebreaker training I can use my skill to break the curse and open the tomb. If I have not this skill, I call on a wizard with this skill and have this curse broken. I hope this idea helps to understand a bit, when it comes to roleplay.

Edited by Official Draco Malfoy, 17 April 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#5 Guest_Alden Broadmoor_*

Guest_Alden Broadmoor_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Curse-Breakers usually work for Gringotts but can be affiliated with other institutions like the Ministry. I don't know if anyone has ever actually RPed a curse-breaking mission on HO before, but you could talk to the people who teach the curse-breaker courses and see what you can come up with and start doing some expeditions or something. The reason you probably don't see it around much outside of the Ministry is because we've had trouble keeping an active Gringotts and banking system going on HO, and for some reason, the employment didn't seem to go past goblins. But that's something that's currently being worked on.


As for posting abroad in other places, you could ask Ying to consider making another forum somewhere that's like a catch-all for the rest of the world locations, like "Everywhere Else" or something.


(Edit: We now have a forum and separate category called "Foreign Lands" where you can post in places that are not the UK, Sweden, or France!)


Here is more information about Curse-Breakers from HP Wiki that you might consider reading.



A Curse-Breaker is a profession at the wizard's bank Gringotts, in which a wizard or witch disables or counters curses in ancient tombs or other historical sites, in order to bring back gold to Gringotts. It is speculated that Curse-Breakers are almost the equivalent of Muggle archaeologists.

It is said to be a very dangerous and serious profession, in which a wizard or witch could be killed as a result of an old curse, jinx, or hex. An O.W.L. in Arithmancy is required, as some banking and transacting will be done. Also, presumably, N.E.W.Ts in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Transfiguration, and Charms would be necessary, given the dangerous aspects of the job, as well as one in Ancient Runes. (However, this is merely a speculation).

Curse-Breakers do not have any known uniform; the Goblins running Gringotts generally do not care what the Curse-Breakers look like in terms of appearance or dress, as long as they bring much treasure back to the bank. Curse-Breakers are known to operate in Egypt and other areas of ancient magical importance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users