Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2024 VirteQ

Photo

Recording Studio

31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Prof. Caleb Rothwell

Prof. Caleb Rothwell

Advanced Studies Professor, Career Counselor, Thespian Society Moderator, Wandless Magic & Occlumency, Animagus

• Governor
  • Others: Adult, Camp Counselor, Head Professor, Hogwarts Professors, Slytherin Affiliate
  • 1752 posts
  • Wand Type:Hornbeam, Manticore Hair, 11 3/4 inches, Surprisingly Swishy
  • Blood Status:Muggle Born
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 11 September 2021 - 08:40 AM

beroemde-opname-studios_600x.jpg?v=16184

• Nora Darcy and Pippa Miller like this

#2 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

French Canon; Soleil Alumnus; Musician & Producer

• Artist
  • Others: Adult
  • 1011 posts
  • Wand Type:Long and magicky
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood
  • Relationship Status:In a Relationship

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:35 PM

Internship — Alaric & Nora

Here he goes again. Another season, and another round of internships. It wouldn't be quite the same this time, though, as he wasn't getting a fresh batch. He was already plenty familiar with Miss Darcy from her time spent with him in the summer. Apparently she'd enjoyed her experience enough to want to come back, which he took as a good sign. The man didn't think he was a particularly strict supervisor, nor was his line of work very dull. As a young buck himself, he'd interned with the Ministry, and while the field work had been pleasant, dear Merlin the paperwork was dreary. There was none of that here. The worst it ever got was client disputes and signing contracts. The former of which Eric had just finished dealing with a few moments ago. There was a bit of a battle going on between two Norwegian artists to secure this one song he'd composed a year ago. A messy ordeal, it was, but that could all be tended to later. Eric did his best to tidy up the studio while waiting for his interns to arrive. This wasn't his usual scene, but for the purposes of his role as supervisor, he'd be stationed here in Tinworth for a few weeks. Their setup here was perfectly sophisticated, so it wasn't like he'd struggle to get his work done any more than he did back in Roanne. He swept the chip crumbs off the corner of the desk from his earlier snack and dumped them in the bin. Were the mics in the booth still on? He walked over to the soundboard to check.

• Alaric Vaughn likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Alaric Vaughn

Alaric Vaughn

Vaughn Twins, Official Ravenclaw Alumnus, Wandless Magic, Musician, Songwriter, Animagus, Sundaze Lead Guitarist

• Artist
  • 1495 posts
  • Wand Type:Cherry, Dragon, 13 1/4", Quite Flexible
  • Nickname(s):Ric
  • Relationship Status:Single

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:29 AM

Outfit  ^_^ 

Ric would like to consider this an unexpected internship and he got Nora to thank for. If not for her invitation to visit the recording studio in France, he wouldn’t be able to experience the taste of what it’s like to produce music, the art of playing around those musical tools, the planning around it, the effort and time that go into it, everything in the backend to be able to come up with amazing music which a singer, or a group will be used for something much bigger, larger than life opportunity. It was just a short trip, a short conversation, a short demo, but it has profound effect on him and made him realized a lot of things with his plans. Music calms his nerves but now, it has different purpose, it has deeper meaning. He received the approval of his internship and what’s more fun is he’s going to do it with Nora. Make no mistake, the girl is good, he will give her that and therefore, he enjoys working with her and he’s excited to work with her, together with Mr. de Lapin on this. De lapin… How is he related to Amber? He looked at his companion, “Err…do you know if Amber is related to our supervisor? They have the same surname and… he’s originally from France too.” Ric was sure Amber came from the same country before coming to Hogwarts. Now this little information had him curious as they made their way to the Tinsworth Arts Centre.

• Nora Darcy likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Nora Darcy

Nora Darcy

Beauxbâtons Transfer, Animagus, Official Gryffindor Alumna, Theatre Actor, Musician

• Artist
  • 1023 posts
  • LocationNew York City, USA
  • Wand Type:11 inches, Apple wood, Augurey tail feather, Supple
  • Nickname(s):Noreen, Darcy

Posted 02 October 2021 - 04:43 AM

"Hmm..can't say..maybe cousins?" Nora responded to Ric as they made their way towards the Tinworth Art Center. She was just saying this on the basis that if he had a real sibling in Hogwarts, he would have mentioned it in their previous session together right? It's the most natural conversation starter. Hence the cousin thing. "Look at you, making familial connections.." There was a teasing lilt in her voice as her eyes sneakily slid sideways to look at Ric, amusement rife in them because she had noticed the looks him and Amber had passed each other during the snidget try outs. And she took it within her capacity to tease him about it, though at the same time she did feel that maybe it wasn't that serious? You know, how you get a certain vibe from people..that way. "Is that why you have cleaned up so well..mhm Vaughn?" Because anyone who would see Ric right now would probably think that he had just returned from a party on a yacht. There was hidden laughter in her voice, but she kept her face graciously neutral with a grin tugging at her lips, because they had finally arrived in the Tinworth art center, and there was almost a hush that had befallen the lobby as everyone walked by wordlessly, some lost in their own thoughts, some listening to music, some carrying canvases of art. This was an area of artistic pinnacle, and she had rather not disturb the muse of people at work. She herself knew how it felt like, to be in the zone and then be disturbed by loud voices. 

She was back again, into a music production internship - not a job this time, but more of an internship - under her very own mentor from last time, Eric. Somehow, over the summers she had clicked with the guy with respect to their music choices and their common interests, and slowly had started considering him as her pseudo mentor and guide into the world of entertainment industry. He had quite the reach as well, plus a lot of experience which would sometimes leave her wonderstruck, how he could simply tell her to shift from one chord to another to create a larger impact via a song. So, when the chance had arrived to do it again, she had taken it without any hesitancy..even better was the fact that Ric was interested in joining in as well. After their couple of run-ins in summers, and the little demo they had done back in the recording studio in France..Nora knew that he was good. And much more than that, she knew that he got it - that love for music, she could see it in the way he played the piano and in the way he had been in the recording studio, an almost childlike curiosity in his actions. So, the internship would definitely be a good chance to explore this further with him - having a partner any day was better than doing things alone, right? "Oh..wait wait wait.." Nora caught his arm, pulling him to a halt as she passed by a rather huge and ornate mirror, quite artistic in her opinion, just in front of the door which was supposed to lead them to the recording studio. "We need to have a memory of this! One for the road?" She looked up at him, smiling in that vibrant Nora style as she pulled out a smartphone from her pocket, something Ian had bought for her from USA - and which was working here since Tinworth had a partial muggle dwelling as well. If he didn't realize that she was talking about taking a mirror selfie, she will probably have to reevaluate her choice in internship partner.

Outfit

Edited by Nora Darcy, 02 October 2021 - 09:06 AM.

• Eric de Lapin and Alaric Vaughn like this

#5 OFFLINE   Alaric Vaughn

Alaric Vaughn

Vaughn Twins, Official Ravenclaw Alumnus, Wandless Magic, Musician, Songwriter, Animagus, Sundaze Lead Guitarist

• Artist
  • 1495 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:09 AM

Ric didn’t realize the surname until now that they’re about to meet the man of the hour. It completely slipped his mind that they have the same surname. Not that it’s a big deal, he was just curious about Amber’s connection to Eric, not just because of the surname, but also because of their home country, which is France. He knew everyone on their year noticed something about him and Amber, and some of them probably have questions, but really, it’s nothing serious, or so he would like to believe. Nothing’s really going on there, literally and figuratively. When Nora teased him about it, especially how he dressed up today, he just shrugged carelessly. “You saw me during my summer job, both at the recording studio and at the hotel lounge, I always dressed to impress. You should know that by now.” He straightened his collar and his visor, raising his chin a bit as he looked at his companion from the corner of his eye. It’s not the only reason though, he wanted to show that he’s got that sense of confidence, and fun. “Remember, whatever we wear should reflect the real us.” It should reflect his personality, character, mood, style and what actually he is as an individual. “Look at you, you don’t look so bad yourself Darcy. You should have worn high heels though, or whatever you girls call it.” and snickered. Ric believes you can make out what sort of person an individual is by his or her clothing. “And besides, it helps boost my confidence...not just for this internship, but also…” he motioned to the ladies who are passing by. He smiled at them and even turned slightly, watching them walk away as he pushed his visor down a bit to take a good look. “Baaam!”

Both finally reached the Tinworth Art Centre, he looked around and whistled silently. “It’s huge. This is the first time I’ve been here.” He removed his visor completely and hanged it on his neckline. “You know, it’s my dream to perform in a stadium someday with my band. I can imagine it now….” He spread both his arms wide, “everyone will shout my name, our band’s name and people will love the songs we’re singing. I can hear the thump, the way they sing with us while we’re performing. Damn, I want that!” You can sense excitement and hope in that voice of his as his eyes shown determination to reach his dreams. There are a lot of people at the lobby now but Ric didn’t mind at all, he was too excited today. He just kept on smiling and nodding to those who looked their way. They were both looking for the recording studio when they passed by a huge mirror and Nora suddenly pulled him back. “…what now?” Looking at the mirror, he stare at it curiously, wondering what has gotten her attention. Nora brought her mobile phone out and told him they need to get a remembrance. Ric rolled his eyes but gamely look but with his brow furrowed slightly. He will never understand girls and their fascination with photos. Even Chantal and Bethany loved taking photos during their summer job in France. They have like more than 500 photos together, geesus! “Are you done Miss Selfie?” At least that’s what Chantal called it when he asked what the heck is selfie and how does it work. They even told him about groupie. Sometimes, he wanted to just facepalm at his friends’ antics. “Come on, Mr de Lapin is waiting for us.” Ric held Nora by her elbow and directed her to the recording studio. Finally reaching the door, he knocked on the door and waited for Mr. de Lapin to welcome them in.

• Eric de Lapin likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 12:04 AM

Eric finished fiddling with the microphones, and then did a general check on all the wiring. All still connected and good to go. With that settled, he squashed down into his chair, nice and padded for comfort during long hours of sitting and staring at a screen. Looking back at the door, he puffed the air out of his cheeks. Still no sign of his interns. The man didn't want to start anything in case they did come knocking, though. Eric worked best when he could get into an uninterrupted groove. Hence why he sometimes spent entire nights in here. Well, not here specifically, as he was mostly stationed in France for his regular work. But you get the idea. His hours could vary wildly as a result, though it'd be refreshing to have fixed hours for the next several of weeks as a result of these internships. Maybe it would allow him to get his sleep schedule back together before he promptly ruined it again once his interns were gone. A knock at the door jolted him from his thoughts, and he stood up from his seat. Must be them. Eric strolled up to the door and pulled it open, faced with the two fresh-faced youngins. "Come in, come in," she ushered them, moving aside. He shut the door behind them, and motioned for them to grab a seat on one of the several wheelie chairs around. "Wonderful seeing you again, Nora. And pleasure meeting you, Alaric. I'm Eric," he said, extending his hand out to the boy. "This is a slightly different setting than last time, Nora, but you'll see that things work pretty much the same," he said over to her, motioning around the studio with his free hand. "It's nice of the centre to lend me this spot for the time being, though. I'm not sure how much Nora's told you about her summer with me, but I don't think she was a big fan of the commute." He chuckled softly. "You're both well and ready to get into the thick of things, I trust?"

• Alaric Vaughn likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Alaric Vaughn

Alaric Vaughn

• Artist
  • 1495 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 11:26 PM

The door opened and Ric immediately smiled to the guy who welcomed him and Nora. “Hi Eric.” He returned the handshake, “Pleasure is all mine.” He’s excited about this internship and since this is the first time he’s meeting the guy in person, Alaric wanted to leave a good first impression by being polite and nice. Eric addressed Nora first since he’s more familiar with her having worked with the girl last summer. He also shared that Tinworth lend thi recording studio to him which is actually an advantage to Nora and him as far as their internship is concerned. “It’s so nice of you to manage our internship Eric, I know how busy you are and yet, here you are in UK, assisting us.” It maybe isn’t his primary reason for coming here, but the fact that he squeezed them in his already busy schedule is an honor. Regarding the summer job, Ric cleared his throat and told him what he already knew. “Im not sure either what Nora told you, but she invited me to visit the recording studio during her summer job and showed me how things work here..” he looked around the recording studio. “I have basic knowledge now but it would be nice to have the proper training about how you operate things here?” He raised his thumb to show him he’s ready anytime! Bring it on!

#8 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:04 AM

Tag; Josephine

After that whole spiel at camp, Eric was glad to return to his recording studios and notebooks. He really wasn't built to be teaching a room of students on the regular, though the experience had been painless. A seminar here and there was fine, but his passion really lay within the work itself. Which was why taking on interns was much more his speed. It was more akin to taking someone under your wing than instructing, and it didn't pull him away from his work. It was a relationship that existed within his work. Eric wrapped up mastering the vocals on the track currently open on his computer and saved the files. Josephine should be arriving any moment now, and better to sit idle for a few minutes than be caught in the middle of a task. His previous two interns had been internship in the field of music production, but today would be slightly different. They wouldn't need the recording studio per say, but as his work hub when he traveled to the UK, this would be perfectly suitable for a simple orientation today. Closing his software, Eric lightly swung his chair side to side with his feet, keeping a close eye on the clock.

• Josephine Bastien likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Josephine Bastien

Josephine Bastien

Beauxbatons Transfer, Official Hufflepuff Alumna, Musician

• Artist
  • 584 posts
  • LocationBeauxbatons Academy
  • Wand Type:11 3/4”, Vine wood, Augurey feather core
  • Nickname(s):Josie

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:12 PM

Applying for an internship was a big decision for her. Josephine did not have a plan on hand - she wanted to graduate and pursue music. How? The technicalities hadn’t come up yet but when the internship was offered, she was coerced into thinking that way by Jean-Luc, her brother travelled all the way to Hogsmeade on a weekend to make sure she was settling well and had someone to converse with. His presence relieved a huge burden from her - there were so many emotions swirling through her, most of them making her consider running away from the schooling. She was on the verge too had he not spoken to her.

Jean Luc mentioned the one way she can progress in her career was through direction - she needs to know about the world out there. This was a one on one session, it did not require speaking in front of many people so she did and was glad to receive Eric de Lapin as her overseer. The genre he worked around was her favourite - she wasn’t foreign to his music. But most importantly, she was indirectly aware of him having studied production under him the previous lesson. This was her second chance at brushing her skills for good.

The meeting point was Tinworth - Josie was hoping France but sadly, the school did not allow them to meander far from their territory. The town was still strange to her but with the guidance of her professor she got off the right area: Art Centre. The lady at the reception pointed out the recording studio and after two gentle raps on the door, the brunette pushed it open to find the man already present. “Bonjour - Je.. I am Josephine.” She hesitated and stammered but got the words out and walked inside.

(1)

#10 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:14 PM

Eric very vaguely remembered Josephine from his summer class. He didn't get much one-on-one time with the students, and he'd put so many of them through the recording booth that it was difficult to remember who was who. He'd spent many hours mastering those songs, and thank Merlin every student was only allotted one. If anything, he remembered the sound of Josephine's voice more than he recalled her face. That counted for something, didn't it? But that would change pretty quickly over the course of this year. She'd be seeing a lot of him, with very little distraction otherwise. And speaking of... He heard the knocks at the door, and he swivelled in his chair just as she pushed through the doorway. "Bonjour Joséphine," he returned with a casual smile. She already knew him, but a refresher would never hurt. "Comme tu le sais déjà, je suis Éric, votre maître de stage." He rose up from his chair, tucking a hand in his pant pocket. "Would you prefer to carry forward in French or in English? I don't think your supervisor much cares, as long as I write your reports in English." He didn't usually offer this option, as the students who came into his charge were aggressively not French.

(The writer is French, but for the purposes of not royally annoying anyone trying to read this RP, written speech can remain in English, despite the fact that they're speaking French xD)

• Josephine Bastien likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Josephine Bastien

Josephine Bastien

Beauxbatons Transfer, Official Hufflepuff Alumna, Musician

• Artist
  • 584 posts
  • LocationBeauxbatons Academy
  • Wand Type:11 3/4”, Vine wood, Augurey feather core
  • Nickname(s):Josie

Posted 02 October 2022 - 06:33 AM

Josie could tell he wasn’t English because de Lapin was a surname in her former school she was award of yet she wanted to be sure and spoke English, or tried her very best to like she did. It was a relief when the man returned in the language that her tongue had no issue reverting with - her face relaxed into a small smile and nodded. While he may not be very familiar with her considering she hardly made her presence known and was usually hiding in the bushes (not literally), the Hufflepuff knew her instructor well. She even listened to his songs during summer so that’s an additional plus - he was great.

“French is easier,” the brunette replied in French with another small smile.

((Ooc: Works for me ☺️) (2)

#12 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 09:54 PM

Anyone with a moderately good ear or grasp on linguistics could easily tell he was a Frenchman. 'De' was a very base article in the French language that was recognized internationally by a lot of folks. Though to be fair to the general populace, there were plenty of individuals who had French surnames who didn't speak a lick of French. They only had the name because their great-great-grandfather was French and the language had since died out within the family from marrying with non-French individuals and living outside of France. Eric was about as purely French as you could get, though, his lineage tracing right back to French nobility. I mean his mother was named Dauphin, for Merlin's sake. His family was the definition of old money. But even those with a general ignorance about the rest of the world would pick up on the accent. He did a lot of work in other countries, the UK included, but he'd always resided in France. His accent had never left him, though his vocabulary had certainly expanded over the years.

Eric nodded his understanding. "Very well, then." With that settled, he kicked into gear. "Hope you didn't have too much trouble getting here. It's a lot of twisting and turning down the halls." Much less straight-forward than his usual haunt at the Avenue d'Artiste. "So music, huh? I figure most students who took my class had some sort of interest, but you must be pretty serious about it if you've pursued an internship. I'll do my best to fill in whatever blanks I can." He turned, motioning around the room. "This here is usually where I work from when a UK collaborator is insistent I be the one to travel. I know you aren't here for the production side of things, but the booth makes for a decent practice space." He walked forward to pull the door open, letting the other walk through into the other soundproof half of the space and following after her. "Do you play any instruments?" He'd honestly been too busy manning the board to notice who was fiddling with what during their summer practice sessions.

#13 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:04 AM

Internship — Charlotte Montclaire

Eric was back in the UK for a bit to tend to some interns Hogwarts was shipping out to him. Nothing new on that front; he usually got one or two every year from the British magic school. He was periodically in the UK for work anyhow, so it wasn't like these meetings were taking him away from his work. It gave him an excuse to drop in and see Scarlet, if anything. But that was sort of the beauty of his career. As long as there was a computer and music equipment around, he could work from just about anywhere, including his own home, now that he had his studio set up upstairs.Today he'd be making use of the Tinworth Art Centre's facilities, though. Eric knew his way around well, and most of the staff there knew his face, waving to him as he walked past with his morning coffee. Setting the cup down on the desk, he wandered into the recording booth, bending down to try and fix some of the wiring so it would properly connect to the computer's software. With a grunt, the man got down on a knee and moved an amp aside to access the outlets behind it. His intern should be here anytime now, so he made haste as he unplugged and replugged a variety of crossing wires. 

• Charlotte Montclaire likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Charlotte Montclaire

Charlotte Montclaire

Daughter of Estelle Montclaire, Animagus, Official Gryffindor Alumna, Radio DJ at the Wizarding Wireless Network

• Journalist
  • 1077 posts
  • LocationYour head, rent-free
  • Wand Type:10 3/4" Rosewood, Thunderbird Tail Hair + Koralle, Fairly Bendy
  • Nickname(s):Charlie
  • Blood Status:Half Blood

Posted 02 May 2023 - 01:23 AM

(1)

Fifth was the year when people usually began seriously thinking about what they wanna pursue after graduation. But Charlie already knew what she wanted in life a long time ago. Back when she started doing some theater gigs in Paris. Or maybe even before any of that. There was no grand epiphany or realization. It was something that she simply knew… one day, she would be a performer. Ever since she figured that out, she tried to prepare or it as much as she could. This meeting was nothing but another step toward that. Still, Charlie was a total ball of nerves as she prepared that morning to meet her supervisor. Eric de Lapin was not exactly a stranger, she's heard of him and his songs of course. And she even participated in the workshop he'd hosted in Camp Avalon. Anyways Charlie was glad that she has a good number of credentials attached to her name already, given who she was gonna be apprenticing for.

Charlie dressed casually but professionally in a tailored blouse paired with dark denim pants and heeled boots (which she feels is necessary because she smol af) and she even put a lil' makeup on and puller her dark hair in a tight bun so as to make herself appear somewhat older than her almost-sixteen years. Then she Floo'd her way over to Tinworth. She was picking bits of powder off her white top as she walked into the Tinworth Arts Center. The matronly receptionist gave her a visitor's badge and directions to where she can find the recording studio. Apparently Monsieur de Lapin was already there, waiting. Charlie peered on a clock to check the time… still a lil' early. Nonetheless she hurried because she didn't wanna keep the man waiting. She reached the place and knocked on the door and then carefully pushed it open, peeking in. There… didn't appear to be anyone there at the moment? But she can smell the coffee all the way from there so she stepped in. "Hello?" she called tentatively. Then she let her gaze wander through the room and she couldn't help staring at the mind-boggling collection of equipment near the recording booth. So many buttons… and she felt the childish urge to randomly push them all.

#15 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 01:56 AM

Eric unplugged a few more wires, wondering who the hell had been using the booth before him. He never really looked at the logs when he came in, cause it wasn't really pertinent information to him unless he was trying to track a specific producer down. No meetings or any of that today. His only appointment was with his intern. Maybe they'd wind up bumping into some of the other producers milling about the area, but the plan was just to spend some time getting her familiar with the studio and going over general expectations. This first meeting was always more of an introductory session than anything. No stress or pressure on a potentially nervous student.

At the sound of a knock, Eric froze, wondering if this was a peer or the intern. When a voice followed, it confirmed the latter rather than the former. He plugged in his wire and then straightened up, blond hair popping up above the edge of the window. "Ah, hello! You must be Charlotte." Her face was somewhat familiar, and he knew she'd taken his summer class. Propping a hand on his knee, the man pushed himself to his feet with a small grunt. "Sorry about that. Was just fixing up some of the wiring." He brushed off his knees and walked through the open door to join her in the main studio space. "Welcome to the studio. Feel free to take a seat," he said, motioning to the chair. He leaned back against the wall. "You didn't have a hard time finding this little room, I hope?" She wasn't late, so either she'd asked for assistance, or she had an impeccable sense of direction around this place.

#16 OFFLINE   Charlotte Montclaire

Charlotte Montclaire

Daughter of Estelle Montclaire, Animagus, Official Gryffindor Alumna, Radio DJ at the Wizarding Wireless Network

• Journalist
  • 1077 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:30 AM

(2)

Charlie should've known much better really than actually thinking she'd be walking in an empty room. That a room such as this one, with all sorts of expensive equipment, would be even left unattended. But she proceeded anyway, walking in the studio as though she has every right to be there… and she did. Just that she didn't think she's supposed to be alone, which is what she was acting like. Reaching for a flashing red button… when she suddenly heard a voice behind. Charlie recoiled as though she's stung and quickly spun around. "That's me!" she said brightly. Hoping that her expression and tone of voice masked her momentary lapse in… uhh, judgement. She quickly scuttled away as her supervisor stepped out of the booth. Joining her and gesturing to a chair. Charlie moved to park her butt on it before she gives in to any other whim. Her eyes began wandering again but the man quickly seized her attention, making small talk. "No sir, the woman at the front desk was very helpful… maybe overly helpful." She shrugged, wrinkling her nose a bit. "Offered to walk me herself, even." Well she wasn't a dog to be walked. She was capable of following directions… and okay yeah, deviating from them as well. Perhaps the woman thought she would be causing trouble when left unattended. Which is actually quite likely to happen.

"Sooo…" she started. Fingers absently tapping on her knee. "I hope it's not too forward of me to ask straight-up what's in store for me, sir? Working with you this spring?" she asked. Giving a polite smile and hoping she didn't sound too demanding. Like a diva, which she does admit she has a tendency of being, at times.

#17 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:47 PM

Okay, good, so a random girl did not just happen to walk into the studio. That had never happened to him as of yet, because the studios were buried pretty deep in the building's maze of corridors, but you never knew. There was a first for everything. One hand tucked into his jean pocket, Eric vaguely waved his hand. "Please, just call me Eric. I've never held enough authority to warrant being called 'sir', trust me." He had little care for formality, especially since severing ties with his family and with his life as French nobility."Makes me feel awfully old, too," he added with a soft laugh. He wasn't delusional enough to think he was still young, but in his mind, 'sir' had always been his father and his uncle. Two people he aspired to never be like, and individuals whose age also seemed way out of reach. Though Eric was now technically older than his father had been when Eric had come into the world. He nodded in understanding at the mentioned of a woman helping her out. "Doreen gets very bored back there during her shifts, so she'll jump at the occasion to help just about anyone, even if they aren't really in need of it." She was a very kind woman, if not a little overeager at times.

Some interns needed a little easing into things because they were incredibly nervous, but Charlotte here wasted no time cutting to the chase. Eric pushed up from the wall, walking over to the console. "Well, some come here because they want to be songwriters, or musicians, or producers, but you're here for the full package, as per your professor's letter, so you're in for a variety of things. You'll be assisting in my day-to-day tasks here in the studio. Roughly, that might include things like learning the mixing board, sitting in on recording sessions and getting the musicians whatever they may need, instrument maintenance and set-up between recording sessions, sitting in on meetings with labels, learning the production software..." Those were the examples that came to the forefront of his mind in that particular moment. "During spare time, you also have the opportunity of practicing in here and recording your own materials to run through the software, as long as I'm in the room. Circumstance permitting, I also like to give my interns at least one go at playing in the performance space we have here at the centre. Sometimes we get lucky and there's an occasion to have an audience, but otherwise it would just be to me and perhaps a few other producers I can rope in," he explained. The man ran a hand back over his blond hair. "And of course, you always have access to me as a resource, whether you have questions, or want me to review some lyrics or melodies you've written. For the duration of the internship, there's an open line of communication between us." He looked at her curiously, wondering what she would make of the arrangement.

#18 OFFLINE   Charlotte Montclaire

Charlotte Montclaire

• Journalist
  • 1077 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:32 AM

(3)

"Alright… Eric." The man wished to be addressed by his given name and she obliged. Though Charlie's eyebrows furrowed a little since a part of her protested that. The old deeply-rooted manners perhaps, which dictated that she addressed her elders properly. But, looking up at him, she saw his point about feeling awfully old at being addressed as such. "I'll do my best," she promised, lips rising to an amused lil' smile. Anyways it seems the man was acquainted with the receptionist. Explaining that the woman gets bored… which she guessed she understands. With her mother's family in the hospitality business she's seen one too many a receptionist so she saw how it can get so tedious and dull. So she did feel a smidge of guilt because she's pretty sure it was obvious she was eager to get away. It was an easily squashable feeling at least, and squash it she did. This was not a time right now for such concerns. Her expression turned serious when she asked her supervisor the questions that had been steeping in her mind ever since she learned of this meeting.

Eric didn't seem too put off by her straightforwardness. When he answered, Charlie's nimble fingers suddenly twitched with the urge to grab a quill. She was feeling as if she should be making notes or something. And she was never really a note-taker so this was a strange impulse. But her small hand gently curled to fist as she absorbed the pieces of information she was given. Charlie was nodding periodically to show that she understands. Her mouth dropped to a slight frown at the mention of possibly being an errand girl. But she figured that as long as no one yelled at her it should be alright. "Sounds good," she said with a nod, her eyes drifting toward the equipment again. "I haven't got any experience with a mixing board though. Just thought I'd put it out there, although I'd love to study it." It'd be pretty rad to actually learn and try working on all the stuff. Like the man said she wanted the whole package. She wants a hand in everything and experience as much as she could. Charlie was nothing if not ambitious. Eric went on to say that she can use the space and even record her own music! While under supervision of course but the opportunity of that alone was more than enough to excite her so much. "Okay!" she chirped. There was a sparkle in her eye as she agreed, her mind already swirling with thoughts and notions. But those musings came to a screeching halt at the next words and she blinked a couple of times… almost uncomprehending. Which is funny since she should have expected that already, the man is her supervisor after all. "You mean like a critic? Or a… mentor?" Of course she still had to ask. But it does make sense for him also to undertake such types of roles. Especially considering he was showing her all the ropes in the studio already. Anyways, regardless of that, she figured that she might as well push on. She never was one to beat around the bush or waste any time. "So, what else is on today's agenda?"

Edited by Charlotte Montclaire, 07 May 2023 - 07:35 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Eric de Lapin

Eric de Lapin

• Artist
  • 1011 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 04:37 PM

Eric had dealt with all sorts of people in the music industry. The industry was one that could be very cutthroat at times, so Charlotte's bluntness wasn't abnormal to him in the slightest. As a producer especially, you learned to just roll with the punches, because what the label executives wanted and what the studio could realistically produce was at odds sometimes. An inquisitive intern was nothing compared to a meddling executive or an indecisive artist rep who had you pulling an all-nighter to cater to their last-minute whims. Charlotte expressed a lack of experience with the equipment. "I don't think any of my interns have ever come in with such experience. Mixing boards aren't exactly the sort of thing someone will casually have lying around at home." They were expensive, and they were just one piece of a larger ensemble. You couldn't do much with just a mixing board. You needed computers, instruments, microphones, and speakers in order for the board to have any sort of utility. Those kinds of setups were typically reserved for the uber rich or music professionals, for whom this sort of investment would be a worthwhile one. Eric had only recently finalized his own home studio in the second spare bedroom on the second floor. It made work much more convenient, but he'd had to save up for a while to be able to get all the equipment he wanted.

Overall, the girl looked pleased with their general itinerary, though Eric couldn't help a chuckle at her remark. "Yes, however you would like to label it." Eric preferred to think of it as a mentorship, given the creative work she produced did not factor into her success within the internship. "Though if you would like a third opinion on things, I can rope in some fellow producers when their schedule allows." The others were busy men and women as well, but they were all on good terms with him, so they would spare the few minutes to look over a notebook page or music sample. Charlotte asked what they would be doing today, so clearly she was ready to move on. "I'll be touring you around the place so you're familiar with the facilities in this department, but before that, I typically like to ask my interns a few questions so I can better cater their experience," he explained. "The main two things I would ask are; one, what are you hoping to get out of this internship, and two, when you picture your future career in this industry, what are your aspirations?" Two very important things to keep in mind when he was bringing Charlotte on to tasks.

#20 OFFLINE   Charlotte Montclaire

Charlotte Montclaire

• Journalist
  • 1077 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 12:57 AM

(4)

For all her experience there was still a lot more to pick up and learn... and she's not sure why she was surprised even though she knew it but she was. Still, Charlie prayed her apparent deficiency in a certain area won't be a hindrance in any of her pursuits. She was relieved that the man told her no intern probably did have any experience with a mixing board. "I'm not at a disadvantage so that's good." She unthinkingly blurted before getting a chance to really think about her words (she couldn't help comparing herself, even to people she didn't know). Though she reckons, once she learns, she's gonna demand for a studio of her own… we'll see. That's definitely something to consider though. But anyways she found herself straightening in her seat upon the offer he presented: having him as a critic, mentor… whatever. Charlie welcomed it, of course. "I honestly would love that," she couldn't help gushing a bit. She was toying with the possibility of making a demo somehow, while she was doing this internship, and he was single-handedly giving her everything she needed to actually pull that off. Eric even added that she can get a third opinion, circumstances permitting. "Hmm… I'm not sure I want that yet but it's good to know that's on the table," she said, nodding. Well first she needed to produce something she was confident enough to show him before she can even think about showing other people.

So what else were they supposed to do today? Touring the place apparently. Charlie's eyes brightened even more at that. "Ooh," she murmured excitedly, uncrossing her legs, excited to get started on that. But first there were questions she needed to answer. So what is she hoping to get out of her internship? "Experience and connections mostly? What I'm mainly wanting to get here is a foot in the industry," she admitted directly and then shrugged. "I'm not doing this simply for the sake of figuring out a future career. I've already known I wanted this since I was young and have been working towards it ever since. As a kid, I wanted to be a singer. But over the years that has evolved to something more… and the easiest way to put it is that I want to make music. And I don't want to get stuck in a single genre either, like many singers and performers tend to end up becoming. I want more than simply being a singer who tours around the world in concerts. I want to perform in theaters also, and do that kind of music. I want to write music and not just sing, and to be able to collaborate with other artists in different capacities. Heck, I even wanna try out doing radio jingles for kicks." She laughed. "Honestly I wanna do everything there is to do in music. Which probably makes it difficult for you to help me figure out how to pursue my path best because I have no singular, definite goal. But really, whatever I can learn from you is enough."

Edited by Charlotte Montclaire, 03 June 2023 - 12:57 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users