Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2024 VirteQ

Photo

Trouble Editing Posts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Trevor Higginbotham

Trevor Higginbotham

Ravenclaw Alumni

• Adult
  • 1837 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

I am Lucy's mentor, and she is telling me that she cannot edit her posts.

Her information:

Member ID: 2114
Group: Ravenclaw 1st Year
Office: 24504

I will direct her here for followup questions. Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

My best guess, since her permissions are all right, is that it is a problem with the Quick Edit, and the fact that it uses Javascript.

#3 OFFLINE   Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Ravenclaw Alumna

• Hogwarts Professors Emeriti
  • 2949 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

I'm here now. I cannot edit any of my posts regardless of whether I use the fast reply or add reply option and I have tried on both IE 8 and Firefox 5. The quote button does work. The delete button works in the sense that it actually does something even if it doesn't actually delete (cause 1st Years aren't allowed to delete their posts from what I've been told). When I hover my cursor over the edit button or try to open in a new tab it just says:

javascript:void(0);

Its like a broken link or something. It doesn't register that the button is a link or whatever. My dad, an electronics/computer tech, says that he thinks it is probably something on HO's end of the line, rather than a problem on my end... Not being able to edit is a huge pain in the rear.

When I hover over the quote button it says:

http://hswcwforum.b1...5&t=168&p=73551

When I hover over the delete button it says:

javascript:delete_post('http://hswcwforum.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=Mod&CODE=04&f=205&t=168&p=73551&st=&auth_key=96d8c1c9c4c88133ed07e9e42404c240')

So quote looks fine and delete looks a little funky (but understandably since 1st Years aren't allowed to delete), and edit just looks broken. *shrug*

*timewarp to test Prof Volynski's idea*

Edited by Lucille Alice McNemyre, 13 August 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

No, the edit but SHOULD say "javascript:void(0);", because of the Quick Edit Scripting, also, if you cannot delete your posts, it is a problem on your end too, since First Years are in fact allowed to delete their posts.

Here is a test. Go to This page and see if it the page allowed you to edit, if it does, then it is a problem with javascript on your end, if it gives you a permissions error, THEN it is a problem on HO's End.

#5 OFFLINE   Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Ravenclaw Alumna

• 2949 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

I was told by a professor I think that I couldn't delete because 1st Years aren't allowed to. When I try to delete it says the deletion was successful but then my post is still there. And it would seem the edit you sent me to worked. I don't understand how it is a problem with javascript. I have the most updated version of Firefox and Internet Explorer. It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work on either browsers... *confused*

#6 OFFLINE   Prof. Katerina Petrov

Prof. Katerina Petrov
  • Banned
  • 4306 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Most of the student permission masks do not have them enabled to use the trash can which is where all deleted posts and topics go, this was the original problem with most of the Professors originally only the HOH and dHOH's and above could use this. I'm pretty sure students still aren't set to be able to send posts and things to the trash can unless they have moderation powers over a forum like one of the club areas.

#7 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

Lucille, check your settings, Javascript may possibly be turned off in both browsers.

Katerina, there is no setting to allow regular member groups to send things to the trash can, it only allows you to set whether admins, global mods, and forum mods are able to use it. I am not quite sure if this is the reason it will not let her delete things, but if it is, it is a bug on JCink's part, not the settings of this board.

#8 OFFLINE   Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Ravenclaw Alumna

• 2949 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Javascipt is enabled, and I no clue about the whole delete thing. I just press the delete button next to the quote, report and edit buttons and it goes through the process as I would expect it to and says it was successful, but then my post is still there.

Is perhaps the new versions of FF and IE (and the javascript that goes with them) not supported by jcink?

#9 OFFLINE   Tucker L. Ortiz

Tucker L. Ortiz

Hufflepuff Alumni

• Adult
  • 1508 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

I used to have that problem but it got fixed and I use both updated versions of IE and FF so I don't know what is going on with your ability to delete.

#10 OFFLINE   Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Ravenclaw Alumna

• 2949 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

How did it get fixed, Tucker? Did it just one day work, after not working for a while?

Edited by Lucille Alice McNemyre, 22 August 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Prof. Lucille Alice McNemyre

Ravenclaw Alumna

• 2949 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

As a matter of potential interest, in case this becomes an issue in the future, I found a nice, fairly easy way around the problem. Instead of clicking EDIT POST, instead click QUOTE. When it loads, in the URL change:

Post&CODE=06&f

to

Post&CODE=08&f

and press enter in the revised URL area. When the screen loads you will find yourself in the edit form instead of the quote form. Works fine. It would be easier to just have the EDIT POST button work properly, but its better than nothing. biggrin.gif

#12 OFFLINE  

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have a question, and I can't seem to start a new topic for it.

How do you search for someone's forums profile if you already have their regular one?

#13 OFFLINE   Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey

Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey
  • Portrait
  • 4124 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

first years are not allowed to start topics.

Can talk to Dakota about making those forums by the alphabet

Also those of you who are having issues with the edit if you get the little white box that does not load click the full edit button at the bottom of the box and it will take you into the full edit mode.

#14 OFFLINE   Will Gryffin

Will Gryffin
  • Gryffindor 7th Year
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

This is only related by like, a fraction, but I thought no students could delete posts, because some kid tried to delete evidence of something.

#15 OFFLINE   Achlys Demarchis

Achlys Demarchis

Soleil Alumna

• Adult
  • 1004 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

No idea about that, Will, but I just wanted to note a slight problem I'm experiencing.

So, I coded my own profile and call board. The profile isn't even totally filled in yet; there are still some things I don't know about Lyssa here. But whenever I go to edit it and add something in Quick Edit, it screws around my code and changes it. Like, it'll turn an [*/SIZE] into an [*/COLOR] and fool around with stuff and it's really annoying. This happens on my Durmstrang professor's profile, too (Anastasiya Malenkova) and I'm sure it'll happen on my Durmstrang kid's (Aren von Schroeder), though I haven't really done his yet.

The only thing I can think of is that Quick Edit is automatically set to "guided mode," and it likes to change the code to what it (mistakenly) thinks is better. Is there any way this could be fixed?

#16 OFFLINE   Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey

Prof. Caroline Moncrief-Vesey
  • Portrait
  • 4124 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

that is a jcink issue I am sure and the same thing use to happen on invision all the time. Save a copy as a note pad file or word file on your comp its the best way that way when you edit you just remove everything and place in the new one.

#17 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

Will, it is actually set so that students CAN delete, as there would be no problem with deleting evidence since technically no posts are really deleted, they just go out of view of the public. The deleting issue is a bug either in jcink's system or in some coding conflict we are having with the coding of the forum.

#18 OFFLINE   Nicholas Volynski

Nicholas Volynski
  • Adult
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

This question has been answered. Now being moved to the archives where it can be referenced at a later date. All new issues should be posted in a new topic.