Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2021 VirteQ

Photo

Durmstrang Suggestion Forum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Giselle DLisle

Giselle DLisle

Chairman of the Governors ; Supreme Mugwump of the ICW

• Governor
  • Others: Head Professor
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Wand Type:10 1/4 Olive Wood with Fairy Dust
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

Below, you can include your suggestions for the Durmstrang Closure plan or ask questions. I will be available for the morning to respond or read your comments.

Rules:

1. Only a Governor or Myself may respond directly to someone's suggestion. Members MAY NOT respond to each other's suggestions in the interest of preventing arguing.

2. Be respectful.

#2 OFFLINE   Annabeth Kane

Annabeth Kane

Official Hufflepuff Alumna, Metamorphmagus, Actress

• Artist
  • Others: Adult
  • 5,922 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Wand Type:black walnut, Horned serpent horn, 9ince, Unyieding
  • Nickname(s):Anna, Beth
  • Blood Status:Half Blood
  • Relationship Status:Single

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

Maybe there like some sort of outbreak (I don't know what) and it is unsafe for the kids to carry on studying there. This will still give the idea that maybe one day in the future near or far for Drum to return.

#3 OFFLINE   Giselle DLisle

Giselle DLisle

• Governor
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

So your suggestion is instead of just having the students transfer and "closing" the school (fyi Durmstrang is NOT closing in the canon of HO, the school presence is just being closed OOC). So you would want a plot and an actual closure like Beauxbatons?

#4 OFFLINE   Annabeth Kane

Annabeth Kane

• Artist
  • 5,922 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

Yeah like it just a suggestion for a reason for the school closure for when kids transfer to Hogwarts people will have to roleplay with instead of they just have to.

• Giselle DLisle likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Rush Markowitz

Rush Markowitz

Ballycastle Bats Seeker, Bartender at The Black Knight, Son of Leander Markowitz, Animagus, Official Gryffindor Alumnus

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • Others: Adult, Shop Assistant
  • 972 posts
  • LocationHogsmeade
  • Wand Type:14 1/7 inches, Red oak wood, Chimera scale fragment

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

First of all just let me begin by saying that I am not in support of Durmstrang closing. If there can be a solution for still having the school on board, maybe by reducing the number of forums or subtopics and just making it less extensive, I would be totally game for that.

If absolutely nothing can be done, there is still the matter of the multiple students that are currently studying in Durms and don't want to shift. Maybe taking a survey about the number of students willing to shift and the number of students wanting to graduate in Durm - and then formulating a plan about helping them graduate from the school? While people can still work around other things in terms of the story line if they are adult, the school in itself is a big part of development for the student characters. And nobody wants to rush their character through school without any development. That just creates adults with no backstory and no plots and well, writers lose muse on such characters. While its my understanding that we have till end of fall term, that is still not enough for people having students in younger years. An extension in the timeline would certainly help in this regard as it will be lesser pressure on writers to gain quills and graduate from Durm, but then it all depends on the number of students who still want to graduate from Durm. Hence, the survey.

• Amhlaidh Haugen, Georgina Caron, Maya Ivanov and 2 others like this

#6 OFFLINE   Giselle DLisle

Giselle DLisle

• Governor
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

A: As it currently stands, Durmtrang students may remain in Sweden as alumni without graduating. There would still be housing and shops, there just woudnt be the opportunity to be in the school

I think there is a possibility that the transfer is plot driven, but nothing to destroy the school in any way.

#7 OFFLINE   Annabeth Kane

Annabeth Kane

• Artist
  • 5,922 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

no not dystory the school but like temporarily in need to evacuate the building of everybody like a virus or something. 

#8 OFFLINE   Giselle DLisle

Giselle DLisle

• Governor
  • 1,780 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

I will make a note of this and encourage others.

#9 OFFLINE   Annabeth Kane

Annabeth Kane

• Artist
  • 5,922 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

I am happy to help in any way.

#10 OFFLINE   Damien Wellington

Damien Wellington

Ravenclaw Quidditch Team Chaser, Astral Projection

• Ravenclaw 4th Year
  • 279 posts
  • LocationGalway, Ireland
  • Wand Type:11¾ Unicorn's Maine Hairstring Core; Elderberry Wood; Strong and Carved with Runes
  • Nickname(s):Dami || Dee

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

So I took a deep reflection on what had been discussed early and this is my suggestions, to improve (I might repeat a few things that had been said, but is to keep my train of thought consistent):

a) Implementation of a new curriculum field, this way not only you will give more chances for professors to have a place in the new space, as well will be granted an opportunity to grow. An example would be Alchemy (I think in the past you had, perhaps this is a good opportunity to revive some of these old departments)

b) Have more positions of staff in school that is not only professors and healers, like caretakers, ground keepers, or even staff to take care of the school, if we are in a post-modern time frame then perhaps house-elves are no longer the main individuals taking care of the castle necessities, this would create new opportunities for new adult jobs and even storytelling, like having charmers in the kitchen of the castle working their recipes (and among them someone wanting to poison the school staff) the possibilities are endless

c) I recall in the past having these open classes, well, I have a suggestion, why not use this system for school clubs, this would possibly boost the activity of them and also grant a chance for adults to gain some extra activity. And be part of these activities could be an alternative way of earning quills/house points (which is good for the old members who are tired of the same old system)

d) I mentioned yesterday that a department of the site that seem less dynamic is pos-graduation, so here is my suggestion, create a career system where adults can be promoted. e.g. A potioneer: Level 1 - Cleaner of Cauldrons; Level 2 - Ingredients Collector, Level 3 - Brewer of Harmless Potions, etc... Another plus could be once one achieved the highest level of their career they could receive a title of Master Potioneer (using the Potioneer as an example)

e) Create a chronological timeline of the major events of the site, so new members and old members can incorporate these events in their narratives and also help as a mark of what had happened until the modern days. With that being said if the site is around a post-modern environment make it visible. Show advancements in the different fields of magic, or create opportunities for new discoveries be found: like new models of broom; new combinations and alterative methods for casting magic; new potions discoveries; new historical lore discover; studies between muggles & wizards or creatures bloodlines; etc... Basically proof of advancement in times.

Those are some of the ideas I came up to help the website booming and flourish, as I said yesterday in private, I do not like jolt my thoughts without formulating them carefully and take into consideration all the aspects. With that being said, hope this is useful and may lead to other ideas. Thanks again for listening.

#11 OFFLINE   Maya Ivanov

Maya Ivanov

Fashion Designer, Official Ravenclaw Alumna

• Artist
  • 637 posts
  • Blood Status:Mixed Blood

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

I will share here my support from the discord. Sharing Canry's Idea of why not lets not rush the Closure of Durmstrang. Lets do it in Phases.

Phase 1: Adults sorting to international wizards.
Phase 2: Durmstrang Closure
1. Get the statistics of student active with their years.
2. Stop New applications for Durmstrang students.
3. Assess how many 1st years are still active and if their number is sufficient till they graduate without looking at the volume of maybe until 3rd years. If the number is insufficent, lets say if I merge 1st to 3rd year students they can still be active till they reach 7th year
Then the option is for the lower years to move up till 3rd year or 4th. Majority we will no longer have 1st years to 2nd years.
4. We may have lesser classes to fulfill the just the needs of those left in Durmstrang. And continue at least some activities for those students depending on their volume
5. The aim is to finish the last student of Durmstrang till closure.

Benefits
1. Lesser people will be impacted with the closure since if they plot their student they still graduate in the school
2. No need for transferring student option that causes too much noise for those who really want to stay on Durmstrang till graduation
3. No need for a plot to close durmstrang. Honestly, its non canon to close it since it is really active in books at least its still open canon wise

I hope this helps. Closing is still there but I think we can slow it down and not rush it and make a concreate plan that will have lesser impact for those who really loved or even have plots in Durmstrang. Hope that helps
  • Amhlaidh Haugen, Rush Markowitz, Warden Diane Mallard and 1 other like this

#12 OFFLINE   Warden Diane Mallard

Warden Diane Mallard

Vanaheim Alumni; Child of Olivia Montespan and Gilles Mallard; Junior Warden at Azkaban

• Azkaban Staff
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStockholm
  • Wand Type:9 1/4” , White wood and Veela hair core
  • Nickname(s):Di
  • Relationship Status:In a Relationship

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:20 AM

Adding to Maya and Rush, it is a good idea to not rush the closure. First year students who want to graduate from Durmstrang will have a lot to catch up on. How do you expect them to earn a total of 15 quills by the end of next term for graduation and develop character? My suggestion is as follows;

- Support the balance students who want to graduate from Durmstrang so they can graduate without the rushing their character
- Make quill requirements easier and give more quill options starting summer term so we can earn the quills. Some of the summer term quill requirements are too much. I can’t consider taking more than 3 quills as I am also a rl master student who has thesis due soon and work. People like me cannot take more than 3 classes and be expected to graduate in a term.

Edited by Diane Mallard, 21 July 2019 - 02:20 AM.

• Amhlaidh Haugen, Rush Markowitz and Joon Ryung Park like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users