Toggle %s Hello Guest

Greetings & Salutations New Member!

On behalf of the entire Hogwarts Online Community, I would like to warmly welcome you to our forum. To become a member, click here. Follow the instructions there in the Admissions Office to complete the registration process. Do not use the green "Create Account" button.

If you have any questions throughout the registration process, please feel free to contact me via email at cclemenceau@hswcw.com.

Magically,
Posted Image
Founder of Hogwarts Online
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2024 VirteQ

Photo

Animagus Seminar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

Chief Warlock of the Wizangamot; Former Head of Niflheim; Illusion

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden
  • Wand Type:Beech with Jobberknoll feather core, 13 3/4" and quite flexible
  • Blood Status:Pure Blood

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:48 AM

breeDq.png

Animagus Studies is, simply put, quite complicated. Hence, it was unsurprising that he's got a limited number of students. Leander was actually pleased by it because it means that fewer required his attentionand yes, his attention is very much a necessity. Expecting only a handful, he's decided on a more 'personal' setup.

The area, in the end, looked like a meeting room of sorts with a round table and a few comfy seats. Off to one corner, a side-table stood bearing some refreshments where students can get snacks and drinks of their choosing. Leander sits pensively at one of the chairs, a mug of warm coffee in his grip, waiting for students to arrive.

#2 OFFLINE   Alaric Severus Byrne

Alaric Severus Byrne

Son of Adreia Kragen and David Byrne, Byrne Twins, Hogwarts Transfer, Animagus, Terrakinesis, Official Ydalir Alumnus, Ballycastle Bats Chaser

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • Others: Adult
  • 1292 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Wand Type:12" Birch with Dragon Heartstring, Swishy
  • Nickname(s):Al, Alaric, Ric
  • Relationship Status:Married

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:15 PM

The day was crazy for Alaric, a lot of running to and from classes plus his added tasks as a head student, which by the way is very shocking to this guy who hardly talk to anyone. Now he needed to do some patrol which is waste of his time, he would rather just stay in the library and read another comic book. But anyway, a role is a role, he’s not just not sure if he’s really suited for the job, being stuck in 7th year means he’s not really a good model. Not that he’s failing his subjects, he’s just not in the mood to graduate yet. It was finally his Animagus class which he’s really looking forward to, he’s coming of age soon and this will be an important lesson if he wishes to register as an animagus. Truth be told, he had no idea what his animagus would look like or if he’ll be able to transform into anything. Alaric arrived in the classroom, it was just small set-up and his professor is already there now too. “Hi Prof.” Alaric gave a curt nod and went directly to the refreshment table, his tummy is grumbling. He had chosen to get coffee and a cookie before settling on a chair.

• Healer Adeline Zolnerowich likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

Vanaheim Alumni; French Transfer; Creature-Induced Injuries and Spell Damage Healer

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts
  • Relationship Status:Engaged

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

After speaking with Elijah, she'd been sufficiently persuaded to take this class. What did she have to lose, after all? At worst, she'd come out with a poor but hopefully passing grade, and at best, she'd gain a nifty little ability. Finally something to keep up with both her parents, both of which had special elemental abilities and her mother was also additionally an Animagus. She'd thought long about what her form might be, and wondered if she might mimic her mother and be a doe. Elijah seemed to think she'd make a good bird or butterfly. Something delicate generally seemed to be the way it was going. She wouldn't mind being small, especially given how Elijah was a little hare. 

But that was all getting ahead of herself. She might not even be remotely good at this. Arriving to class, she wasn't greeted by the traditional classroom setup. It was much smaller, much more intimate, and so she suspected their numbers may be fewer. "Hello Professor," she greeted with a curt nod. She wasn't the first student to arrive. "Hey Alaric," she said, flashing the older boy a smile. Oooh, they even refreshments. Don't mind if I do. Examining the spread on the table, Addie picked up a blueberry muffin and a glass of orange juice. This would do just fine for now, and so she went to take a seat at the oval table.

• Alaric Severus Byrne likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Alaric Severus Byrne

Alaric Severus Byrne

Son of Adreia Kragen and David Byrne, Byrne Twins, Hogwarts Transfer, Animagus, Terrakinesis, Official Ydalir Alumnus, Ballycastle Bats Chaser

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 1292 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

Alaric looked up just as Addie joined him the room, he immediately smiled at the girl whom he had a good conversation at the library, in the middle of the night. (Apologies I’ve forgotten our rp! I will run there today!) “Hi Addie.” How was the start of term for you? Cramming again?” He teased the younger girl knowing she’s pretty scholarly, in a good way while this guy usually wastes his time reading something that is not academically related.

Alaric had a bit of reading last night about this subject because he’s excited and curious how to transform into an animal…not of your own choosing but what whatever represents his soul best. How they are going to do that is a big mystery. There’s just one thing which is confusing this 17-year-old boy, he glanced at his professor, “Prof, can someone’s animagus form change over time or it’s impossible to change once you transformed into a specific animal? Say, someone’s character changes so drastically, will it impact their animagus form, even their patronus form?”

• Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz and Healer Adeline Zolnerowich like this

#5 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

Vanaheim Alumni; French Transfer; Creature-Induced Injuries and Spell Damage Healer

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Addie had yet to bite into her muffin when Alaric piped up. She understood why he was asking what he was asking, but the answer on that was negative. "There isn't much to cram at the start of term," she told him. In most classes, it was a miracle if they'd gotten past introductions and mundane formalities at this point. "This is probably the best set of classes I've had in a while, though. Nothing too dull, it seems, and I'm finally old enough to take the advanced courses I wanted to take last year." After nodding a little absently, she picked up her muffin to start eating, as she wasn't sure how much time she'd get to do so. Fingers carefully peeled the wrapper back, and she could smell the blueberry from having it so close to her face. Taking a bite, she relished how fluffy it was, and realized there were nuts in here. She couldn't quite pinpoint what kind, but they were good. While she was chewing, Alaric posed a question to the professor. It was one she'd never considered, having always assumed one's form was locked in stone for life. Her mother's form had never changed, even though she'd been through a heck of a lot. She'd hate to think of getting a nice Animagus form like a cute bunny or bird only to have it turn into a naked mole rat against her will. 

• Alaric Severus Byrne and Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz like this

#6 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

Leander was lucky that his students didn't make him wait that long, especially since they've got a lot to get through, seeing as this was the one and only class they will have in the entire term. He simply nodded in response at their greeting, choosing to remain silent. Leander actually had a talent in being so quiet that people sometimes forget he was around; it was one of the significant traits which defined his animagus form eventually. Regardless, he was allowing them space to converse with one another while he nursed his coffee.

His attention shifted though, when he was directly addressed. Leander set his mug down and listened as a question was asked. "No, you cannot," he promptly answered. "There is no changing your animal form ever, and the reason is more philosophical than anything else, actually. Your animagus form reaches deeper in your soul than your patronus form ever will. It represents your very core or, quite literally, your spirit animal. While change is unavoidable… do you really think a person changes deep in their core?" He asked, his gaze swinging around to connote that the question was for all the students. "There's a French quote—I'm unable to say it without botching it but it translated to a simple phrase: the more things change, the more they stay the same." Leander paused, allowing the words to settle. "I have always believed that despite all the changes we go through, we remain the same person spiritually, and that the only thing changing are 'whys' and 'hows' or our reasons for doing certain things or purposes which we serve. It is the details changing but the core traits of a person remain unaffected. That is the part of you that your animagus form represents."

"Did that answer your question, Mr. Byrne?" He picked his mug up once more and drained it. "Feel free to grab whatever snacks you wish—this will be a long class although it'll be our single one, so let's start." Leander grabbed his wand, then wrote in the air, the words glowing.

"An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal."

"Animagi are witches and wizards capable of changing to one particular animal by will. It is a learned skill that takes practise and patience as it is a long and laborious process and is potentially dangerous," Leander paused, flashing a warning look. "The study of it is extremely difficult and errors can result in a complete disaster, so you must be ready to put yourself through the arduous process. If you can't, then you might as well drop my class as early as now."

#7 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:29 AM

So you couldn't change your form. Good to know. That made her hope all the more that she wound up with a decent form. Not a worm or anything. Then again, she was pretty sure her personality didn't warrant a worm form. She'd like to think she was more interesting than that. In attempting to get his point across, the professor evoked a French quote. Addie smiled, knowing exactly the one he was referring to. It was probably a good thing he hadn't tried saying it in French because she might not have been able to stifle her giggles. It always amused her to watch tourists butcher street and shop names as they wandered through Paris, but she couldn't exactly judge them because her Swedish was quite horrendous. 

They were given a last opportunity to grab food and drink, but Addie was perfectly fine with her muffin. While she chewed, the Vanaheim lifted her eyes to the glowing writing in the air. The man was quick to warn them about the risks of the task at hand, but it didn't faze her too much. Addie had stabbed a girl through the chest with a dagger on the basis that she was pretty sure she was a wraith in disguise. Surely this couldn't be nearly as stressful as that. "What kind of disaster, exactly? Getting stuck as a hybrid for the rest of your life? Staying an animal forever?" she asked after swallowing. 

• Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Nicolas Alcaldo

Nicolas Alcaldo

Ydalir Alumni; Castelobruxo Transfer; Jeff's Dad; Appleby Arrows Chaser

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 521 posts
  • LocationScotland
  • Wand Type:Aspen with Dragon Heartstring, 12 1/2 inches
  • Nickname(s):Nic

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

Nic wasn’t late. He was misplaced. He had misplaced…himself? Did that sound plausible? He didn’t know. The layout of this school was a complete confusing mess. Heck, it’d taken him how long to find the freaking library the other day? Ugh. When Nic finally stumbles in, he shoots the professor an apologetic look as the man is in the middle of speaking. Talk about embarrassing. The tips of his ears flush red as he takes a seat at the table. What an odd classroom setup. He expected to walk into a full room. Who didn’t want to master an animagi form? Perhaps, it wasn’t as easy as he thought, or maybe the Professor was feared? He elects to remain seated as the professor indicates they can roam for snacks. Nic had already given a bad first impression. From here on out, he was going to be quiet and studious, hopefully absorbing everything like a sponge. He slips a quill and paper out of his bag, figuring a good start to avoiding “complete disaster” is excellent note taking…or at least decent-ish note taking.

#9 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:38 AM

Leander's eyes flitted quickly in the direction of the newcomer (Nicolas), making a discreet gesture with one hand that the student can sit. He never minded late students too much so long as they never made a habit of it. Besides, as he recalls it, this particular student is a transferee and he's aware that though the castle is small, it can be quite labyrinthine when you are new. He'd turned his attention at the question presented. "Yes—precisely," Leander answered, briefly nodding. "Well, the actual term is 'mutation' but yes, that is the worst-case scenario. The complications of the animagus process varies and typically, you never really know you made a mistake until the near-end of the process when it gets hard to correct things. That is why you need to strive for perfection and to get as close to it as you possibly can." He paused for a brief moment, then continued lecturing now about the animagus form.

"Animagi can only take shape of a specific animal that reflects their personality and significant traits. Ergo, one does not pick their animagus form." He shuffled a few pieces of parchment that was in front of him. "I've got here a quiz which may give you a clue as to what your forms may possibly be, although this will not in any way guarantee what they are. Take the results with a grain of salt." He gave it to whoever is closest. "Pass it around, do it quick, and let me know what your results are."

LINK TO QUIZ

While they were doing that, Leander mentioned a few more details on the animagus form. "Animagi also possess a particular mark on their animal forms reflective of human appearance. It may be an inborn or acquired physical trait," he said, "what do you think your animagus marks will be?"

#10 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

Addie tried picturing herself with cat ears or a tail. In theory, it was pretty amusing, but in practice she knew it wouldn't be a very sunny situation at all. Although there were things about herself she wasn't wholly satisfied with, she wouldn't want to trade them for animal body parts. And she didn't want to stay stuck a complete animal either. But she was in this now, so it was a bit late to be backing out. She just needed to tread carefully from this point out. 

She'd already gotten the gist that Animagus forms were born from one's inner self; Elijah had told her plenty about his experiences. It turned out they were to take a quiz, but it was relieving to know that it wasn't binding. It could speculate, but it didn't define the form with certainty. It was given to her first, and she swallowed before proceeding to answer the questions. They were vague, and not all of them necessarily applied, but she did her best to answer each one. By the end of it, it displayed a clear, five-letter word. Horse. The girl blinked, absorbing that as she passed the parchment along. "I uh, got a horse. Bigger than I thought my form would be, but I guess it makes sense." Definitely not the worst form she could have. Addie had to laugh at imagining a big horse standing next to little hare Elijah. 

Prof. Markowitz went on to talk about markings, and the Vanaheim grew slightly self-conscious. She didn't have any particular defining features, aside from perhaps her big blue eyes, but those were nothing special, really. For the longest time, she couldn't produce an adequate response to the professor's question. "I do have a discoloration on my right palm because of a burn I got a while back," Stabbing the wraith, to be more precise. "So maybe some kind of discoloration on a right appendage?" Otherwise, what on earth would it be?

#11 OFFLINE   Nicolas Alcaldo

Nicolas Alcaldo

Ydalir Alumni; Castelobruxo Transfer; Jeff's Dad; Appleby Arrows Chaser

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 521 posts
  • LocationScotland
  • Wand Type:Aspen with Dragon Heartstring, 12 1/2 inches
  • Nickname(s):Nic

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

Nic was relieved the professor decided to not call him out in front of the other students. That would’ve been embarrassing. Well, more than coming in late already was, but he will take the small victory. Honestly, he hadn’t given much thought to what kind of animal he imagined he’d become after passing the class. It was such a…hard question, wasn’t it? How did someone say, “Yes, this is my inner self.” Nic couldn’t answer that question, let alone give it an animal form. Luckily, it seems the professor knows most, if not all, of them are in the clueless boat. It’s with an eagerness he takes the quiz from the girl next to him (Adeline) and begins getting straight to work. His results surprise him, but he also kind of…gets it? Wolf. I thought it’d be something…sneakier? I suppose I could see it though. I don’t have to join a group or anything, right? Nic figured the answer to this would be no, but he did not want to go and have to join up with some wolf family somewhere. He could barely keep it together with his human family. As for the Professor’s comment about markings, he really could not picture what he might carry over. Nothing about his appearance stands out. No scars or skin blemishes. No glasses. He was a normal dude. Did that mean he received something weird and freakish for his normalcy? That’d suck.

#12 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:20 PM

"In that quiz that you are answering," he started to say, "my own result is an otter—a far cry from my actual form." Leander chuckled. "You never really know what you are till you see it for yourself. It's quite an eye-opening experience to discover what your animagus form is." Both students seem surprised by the results the quiz yielded. He couldn't help chuckle at the question one of them presented. "No, you don't have to—you can be a lone wolf," he suggested jokingly. "Kidding aside, your animal form is only that, precisely. Just a form enabling you to use a different set of capabilities otherwise unavailable to you as a human. Still, you are as you are in mind, heart, soul." Talking about the marks, Leander gave them a reassuring smile. To Adeline, he nodded. "That is likely going to end up as your animagus mark. Different types of scars are the common ones, yes. But there are some that are not too obvious and quite unique—like mine." His gaze swung toward the Nicolas. "I honestly thought there was nothing special that is going to show on my form... and it was quite a surprise to see what it was, in the end." Leander was guessing that the boy was preferring to be surprised too.

He's decided to move on with the discussion. "The Animagus, in animal form, still thinks as a human although emotions and feelings are not as complex since the animal tendencies are more prominently displayed. In your core, though, you are still human." This was an additional detail on the question posed earlier, about having to join a pack. "Animagi are not limited by their animal form's usual lifespan and they also have the ability to communicate with normal animals but only to an extent. There seems to be a clear understanding of want and need in this ability, but the full extent and quality is unknown." He paused then, and raised his wand to continue writing. "Now, what sets animagus apart from other forms of shapeshifting? Well, here's a summary."

Animagus vs. Transfiguration

- One can transfigure oneself to a variety of animals, depending on the spell. But Animagus can morph to one particular animal whenever they want, without a wand or an incantation.

- Being Animagus is an ability, and Transfiguration requires a spell.

Animagus vs. Metamorphmagus

- Animagus is a learned skill. Metamorphmagus is a hereditary talent.

Animagus vs. Lycanthropy

- Lycanthropy is a ‘blood disease’ acquired through a werewolf bite.

- Werewolves cannot keep their minds after a transformation (unless they take the Wolfsbane Potion), nor can they control themselves during a transformation. Animagi can do both, however.

- As werewolves harm only humans, Animagi in their animal forms are safe to be in the company of werewolves.

#13 OFFLINE   Alaric Severus Byrne

Alaric Severus Byrne

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 1292 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

(Sorry Prof, catching up on classes now!)

Alaric softly nodded to his professor while trying to absorb what the older man just said about animagus form will never change. So, from what he understood, the animagus best represents one’s soul. Your personality and quirks and traits that are essentially yours determine your Animagus, that’s why an animagus form does not change and will never change even if the very person that you are changed in many ways. On the other hand, he would assume patronus represents one’s heart. He heard from his cousin before that Patrunus form can change. Although it is said to be determined by the qualities that govern one’s animagus, but it could change overtime when your heart goes through a tremendous change. Probably if someone dear to you died, or you fell in love very deeply that it can control your life and your heart. He stopped his train of thoughts as the professor continued with the lesson.

The first quiz was given to them and Alaric tried it as soon as he received his. After some time, he got his result and had to raise his eyebrow at his result. “I got a tiger.” His dad wouldn’t agree to the part where he’s an easy-going person, maybe before when he’s still younger but now…not in the least. People are naturally drawn to him because of his humour? Nuh-uh..Where did that come from? At his professor’s question, he shrugged, “I’ll probably still have my green eyes…” Gray green to be exact. He is the male version of his mother, including her beautiful eyes.

He raised his hand after his professor explained further. “Professor, are animagi subject to predation? Can other animals somehow sense that they are human and leave them alone? Or will a fellow animagi know if an animal is an animagi too?”

Edited by Alaric Severus Byrne, 06 June 2019 - 07:59 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:32 AM

Addie watched as the next boy over took the quiz, getting a wolf as his result. Alaric got a tiger, and it looked like they were all relatively large creatures. The professor confirmed that the results were not very accurate, as his own form didn't match up with the predictions. That left her wondering what exactly his form was in the first place. The girl looked down at her scarred hand; much more faded now that it had been previously. Had the whole wraith thing not happened, she had to wonder what her mark would have been. Maybe her eyes, like Alaric? Prof. Markowitz's mark was apparently much more subtle. Considering how much the man was referencing his own animagus form, he'd best be preparing to show them all what it was, lest all this buildup be for nothing. 

There were just three of them, so the quiz-taking process was over quickly, and they moved on. A lot of this she already knew from speaking to Elijah on his experiences, but she listened nonetheless, just in case new nuggets of information were dropped. All the given comparisons made sense, the one concerning lycanthropy especially clicking in with the class she'd taken last term. Off of that information, she had no questions, but then Alaric made an interesting point. She'd hate to think of Elijah getting snacked on by a passing wolf when he was just a little hare, minding his business. And of course for herself, whatever her form ended up being. She'd like to not be eaten, thank you very much.

#15 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Leander stayed on the matter of marks for a bit more at the response of Alaric. "Is there anything else?" he asked. "There must be something that sets you apart from everyone else." His own green eyes was also reflected in his animal form albeit darker and seemingly deeper—and yet, that was not his animagus mark. Then a curious question was raised: can animagi be victims of predation? "We can all be victims of predation—whether human or animal. Carnivores are carnivores and both animals and humans are flesh, bones, meat. But to address the question properly, it is my belief that no, other animals won't be able to sense that you are human. Just like a werewolf is uncapable of sensing a human actually in creature form. Other animagi, based from experience, are clueless either. Animagi are only ever discernible in particular through their marks, which is why it's so crucial. If you know one's mark, you'll know it's them." That is the reason why the registry is so important. If people didn't know what to actually look for in the animals, animagi can practically hide out for years and never be discovered.

"Try and see if you can figure mine out. I'll give you five minutes to examine me—and yes, you can touch but stay away from my beak," he said, pushing his chair back. But rather than rise, all it took is a blink and fluttering on top of the small table is a raven—but with snowy white plumage, not black.

btqul8.jpg

Leander stretched his wings out lazily while hobbling in clawed feet across the expanse of tabletop. If the students would look close enough, they should be able to notice the way the wingtips were strangely curled in. And his right leg was also bent a bit, forming a nearly undecipherable bump.

• Alaric Severus Byrne likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Healer Adeline Zolnerowich

• St. Mungo's Healer
  • 2195 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Addie twisted her mouth. Mm. She'd best keep out of the woods, then. She wondered if Elijah went for hops out on the grounds. Out there he was probably fine, so long as he didn't venture into the brush, where the creatures actually lived. She'd also have to be cautious if she wound up being a small animal. If she really was a horse, then she wouldn't really have much to worry about. Horses were huge and fast. Finishing the last dregs of her orange juice, she set the empty glass back on the table as quietly as she could. 

Finally. The prof's Animagus form. After all this talk she'd have been really disappointed if there would have been no pay off. It was interesting to watch him transform. The process was so quick, blink and you might miss it. The girl wasn't sure what she was expecting, but it definitely wasn't a snow white bird. Prof. Leander wasn't terrifying by any means, but she'd have pictured something more....menacing, imposing. On a tangent from that, she now knew white ravens were a thing. Or was that his mark? It couldn't be, because there was nothing wrong with the man's skin. It had to be something else, then. Getting up from her seat, she tentatively leaned forward, though with no intention of touching him, beak or not. His plumage was pretty unflawed. And the beak was pretty ordinary too. "His wings," she noted out loud. The feathers were fine, but the wings themselves did a weird little curl at the end. Was it because of curly hair (I mean, it kinda looked curly), or was the prof hiding the fact that he had arthritis or carpal tunnel? The heck could that translate into?

#17 OFFLINE   Alaric Severus Byrne

Alaric Severus Byrne

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 1292 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

For sure his ears are red in embarrassment when his Professor asked him if there’s anything else which will set him apart from everyone else. He couldn’t say his secret to the class that he has a birthmark located in a part where he wouldn’t want to divulge to anyone. “Err..not sure..I’ll have to check that further Professor, for now, it’s only my eyes.”

He only breathed a sigh of relief when his professor moved on with the discussion and answered his question. In short, they are subject to predation, regardless of the mark or whatnot. If it’s a regular predator they are dealing with, nothing could stop them unless of course you know how to fight them back. He blinked as his professor transformed into a uh…was that a dove? He couldn’t be sure as it’s snowy white. Just like Addie, he went to examine his professor’s animagi form. He also noticed the wings just as Addie observed about it. He looked closely, checking the animal in front of him. He noticed another thing, one of its legs is kinda odd. “The leg too..”

#18 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

The white raven glided back toward the chair with force, sending it spinning as it landed on the arm of the seat. But as it turned back, Leander was also back to a human, sitting down properly. "White ravens are extremely rare so if you see one flying around, please don't hunt it down—chances are, it's me," he started to say. "I hated my animagus form, actually—and for good reasons. One, it's rather difficult to pass myself off as a normal bird, to conceal or blend in. Two, it's a rare specie so it makes me extra susceptible to predation. And three? I hated flying." Ironic that he ends up with a bird, isn't it? "But as I've said, we don't have a choice with how we turn out. I thought my animagus mark would be my dimples yet, as you've seen, it was not." Leander gave a wry smile and then straightened up on his seat, preparing to share a couple of personal details. He's normally a private sort but he'd believed that he can help the students understand this more and in turn, make the process they were about to undergo easier. "I hated flying all because of a simple accident: I had fallen off a broom as a child. That was one time although it was enough to scar me, especially since it left me with a snapped leg. It was perfectly healed years ago and yet, as one of you have noticed, it's represented in my animal form." That was not too uncommon. "That, of course, was one thing different but is not that noticeable."

He raised both hands up, fingers splaying out. "I have what is known as a hitchhiker's thumbs and it means that my thumbs are flexible and is capable of getting bent backwards up to a ninety-degree angle or so." Leander promptly demonstrated this, using his pointer finger to push both thumbs as far as he can get themand he sincerely hoped none of them are too disturbed by it. "On my animal form, it's represented by the curling of my wingtips and that is what my animagus mark is, on the registry," he said before setting both hands down, shrugging. "Good luck on discovering what your marks are."

"Since we're on the matter of distinctions, every animagus is required to register with the Ministry of Magic. In this registration, you are required to declare your animal form and distinguishing markings and this registry is available to public viewing. The penalty for failing to register as an animagus is a sentence in Nurmengard." Yeah, no need to admit that it took him over half a decade to actually register himself. "That covers everything you must know about Animagus. Questions? Just ask." Leander paused to summon a new set of notes. "Without further ado, here is the simplified version of the steps on how to become animagi."

THE PROCESS

1. Hold a single mandrake leaf in your mouth for a full month (full moon to full moon)—no taking it off to eat or sleep or anything—and chanting daily, “Amato Animo Animato Animagus.” If it slips out or slips down, you need to start over.

2. On the next (visible) full moon, you must put the mandrake leaf in a phial within range of the moon's pure rays and then add in a strand of your hair, a silver teaspoon of dew that has not seen sunlight or untouched by any human feet for seven days, and a the chrysalis of a Death’s-Head Hawk Moth. Store it away in a quiet, dark place where it won’t be disturbed. If the moon is not too visible, you must begin again with the very first step.

3. Drink the potion during a lightning storm. Until then, you must recite the incantation at sunrise and sundown with your wand tip at your heart.

#19 OFFLINE   Alaric Severus Byrne

Alaric Severus Byrne

• Pro-Quidditch Player
  • 1292 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

Alaric had a hard time hiding his reaction when the man pushed his thumb as far back as possible. He had to massage his own thumb just to make sure it’s still there and functioning properly because what he had just seen is really disturbing and something he can’t do on his own finger. As for the registration, Alaric has a question about it. “Professor, is there a deadline for the animagus registration? Do we have to do it as soon as we’re able to transform, earned a quill here, or maybe after graduation?” He wouldn’t want to be imprisoned and be brought to Nurmengard just because he failed to register. It wouldn’t hurt to know that piece of information right? “And for newbie like us, how do we transform back from being human?” He noticed his professor didn’t use his wand – while in his animagus form – to transform back. “Do we have to will it? Imagine our human side?” Alaric asked the question as he received the additional notes from his professor on the animagus process.

#20 OFFLINE   Chief Warlock Leander Markowitz

• Ministry Secretary
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

"There is no deadline," Leander answered the question about the registration. "Just make sure no catches you or reports that you are unregistered." Obviously, the responsible, smart thing is to register as soon as possible but he'd thought he was being deceitful if he straight-up told them it was not possible to defer it. Then, a follow-up question about transforming right back to a human was presented. "Yes, we are basically willing ourselves back to a human although you may find a struggle at first but it gets easier with time."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users